Sky Broad Band + Airport extreme base station

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Does anyone know if I can use an Airport Extere base station with broadband supplied with sky?

The reason I ask is because our broadband came supplied with a free wireless router which was pre-set so all I had to do was plug it in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No reason why not at all, if the connection is via your phone line now, it won't change. You don't have to use Sky's router anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry to be Devil's Advocate but . . .

The Sky connection is ADSL. So you'd either need to use the supplied modem router (whether it be the Netgear, Sagem or D-link type) as just a modem and connect to the Airport Extreme (to use as the router) using ethernet or get an ADSL ethernet modem and connect that to the Airport Extreme.

The former solution is best as Sky's T&Cs state that you can only use the supplied equipment to connect to the ADSL line and they reserve the right to suspend your account if you don't.
I don't know of anyone this has happened to but worth a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sorry, should have been clearer myself. I naturally assumed that the OP would connect his Airport extreme to Sky's modem, and just ditch the router they supply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.