glass smudges won't wipe off ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
The smudges on the glass of my ipad don't rub off easy any more. I use it a lot and it's not scratched. I never put a film on it because it's not supposed to need one. Anyway, I used to use a soft cloth and they would wipe right off and they still do around the edges. But the middle part of the screen takes a lot of rubbing to get clean. I have to keep breathing on it or use a little eyeglass cleaner. I never used any other cleaner on it. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anything can be done. I'm thinking it might be a protective coating like they use on camera lenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Try using a damp microfiber cloth. That usually does the trick for me when I have stubborn smudges.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get the smudges off with eyeglass cleaner but I wanted to know if anyone else has the problem of having a hard time with it. I'd like to know if there is a protective coating on the glass that can be replaced or repaired. When I'm out with it I don't have a damp cloth available and a plain soft cloth isn't working.
Does anyone know if the glass can be replaced and if it would be covered under warranty.

Reaction score
Why don't you install an Invisible Shield on it and you will not have that problem again and your iPad will be protected with a lifetime guarantee from Zagg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I do both, Zagg invisible shield and

eyeglass cleaner with microfiber cloth. No problems cleaning, it's clear as a bell.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installing a shield now won't fix the damage done. My question is is there a permanent remedy such as redoing the coating if there is one, or replacement of the glass. And would the warranty cover it. I know eyeglass cleaner will clean it, honest.

When I am away from home and don't have a damp cloth handy, the glare from the smudges is bad and makes it hard to see. Yes again, I know eyeglass cleaner or damp cloth will work. I have glaucoma and this is a real problem for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There is no damage. Just use cleaner or water and a microfiber cloth. You just need to clean it more regularly if it bothers you a lot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still using the "same" microfiber cloth? Or been using the same one for a while now?

Has it been washed or are you just smearing the collected oil from the cloth back onto your device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Best thing to do is clean it thoroughly and then install a film that will prevent future smudges

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Isn't there a coating on the glass that is resistant to oil, which allows easier cleaning of the glass? I think that was something they started with the 3GS. I noticed that my iphone 4 was very easy to wipe off in comparison to my old 3G, but lately it seems more difficult. Maybe using cleaners on the glass wears off the nice coating faster and takes it down to the bare glass which is harder to get oils off of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't there a coating on the glass that is resistant to oil, which allows easier cleaning of the glass?

There is, but if you don't clean it often, or to bobtomay's point, are using a cloth that's not clean itself, there's not much the coating is going to help with.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I am not being clear. Yes I use a clean cloth. I don't need to know how to clean it, I need to know if it's fixable. I don't want to cover it, I want to either get it recoated or reglassed. I was thinking maybe it's even buffable but that doesn't sound like it's likely. I'll take it in to the Apple store and see what they can do. It is still under warranty but I can't find any info as to whether or not it's covered.
I remember once that I was holding the ipad and reading and a fly landed on the screen. It could not get any traction and actually slid down to the bottom before it took off. Slick glass.
Anyway, ipad two soon, I'll get a film for it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
bydefault2011-03-08at70452PM.png

I probably shouldn't clorox wipe mine again (or at least not as often as I have) :Blushing: but fortunately it's no worse for wear. Nano-coatings are remarkable.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never used alcohol wipes or anything like that. I'll know better to protect the next one. I simply wore it out. I did all the 3 star and top scores on Angry Birds, Fragger, Cover Orange, Cogs, Labyrinth, Ragdoll, and a lot more. I'm retired. Don't have nuttin else to do.
I have dropped it several times and I was really surprised that it didn't break. Good stuff.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've never used alcohol wipes or anything like that. I'll know better to protect the next one. I simply wore it out. I did all the 3 star and top scores on Angry Birds, Fragger, Cover Orange, Cogs, Labyrinth, Ragdoll, and a lot more. I'm retired. Don't have nuttin else to do.
I have dropped it several times and I was really surprised that it didn't break. Good stuff.

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of the display LOL. With that kind of action I'm surprised you didn't wear a rut in the glass! ;D

Came across this since you got me curious about the displays and coatings in general - Apple-Front-Glass-Digitizer-Screen or this DigiExpress - so yes - you could probably get it fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I really doubt you wore anything out and it's not broken. I'm sure the Apple Store will tell you the same thing. Sounds like you just need to clean it more often if it bothers you too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.