• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gettin Ready For Katrina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
What a pain, dang Hurricanes. Not too strong, but here we go again :eek: And now there is nothin on TV except storm coverage. :confused:

Picture 3.jpg

Reaction score
i have relatives down there, I know where your coming from Good luck!

OP
fyrman22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well power has ben flickerin a lot. Seems like we never catch a break. went thru 3 storms last year and 3 weeks without power. It was miserable. hope we don't lose it this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am going to say I like power outages when I have my powerbook and I am on it for a while... but once my battery dies I want the power to go back on...

any way.. good luck with the storm.. enjoy it for me, i love big storms...

Reaction score
I promise you guys, the first lose you experience due to a "big storm" you will not love them anymore ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, we lost our home in 1998, a huge flood, 37 feet, I still like big storms somewhat, just not like I used to.

OP
fyrman22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well turned out not to bad. Power only went out for a few hours and the trusty iBook was all charged up so I managed. The power of these storms is incredible. This was the fourth one I've been thru in the past 12 months. The house is still standin'. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
HOLY CRAP!!! I just turned on Fox News that has katrina coverage... They are having a news conference with the people of New Orleans.. the winds are up to sustained 175mph and gust of 190mph.. This is the type of big storm I do not like. I was watching the radar on the tv and the size of this storm looks huge and I feel for the people in the area of that katrina is going ot hit.

Reaction score
Could be a serious problem................ you all down that way be safe!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I don't know how you yanks manage with this stuff happening every year just about everywhere, I'd probably try and live in a nuclear bunker if at all possible. But then again, I am one of those plonkers that still goes around any large city in the USA with my nose up in the air looking for the top of the buildings. May God be with you, I will be watching what remains of the city and hopefully that will be A LOT OF IT!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Stephanella said:
I don't know how you yanks manage with this stuff happening every year just about everywhere, I'd probably try and live in a nuclear bunker if at all possible. But then again, I am one of those plonkers that still goes around any large city in the USA with my nose up in the air looking for the top of the buildings. May God be with you, I will be watching what remains of the city and hopefully that will be A LOT OF IT!!!

It's a big country, and hurricanes only affect small parts of it. People in Florida are almost accustomed to things like this.

New Orleans, though, sounds like it's in for The Big One. If anyone is down there, find safe shelter. There's nothing you can do for your house if you remain, just hope and pray.

J

JSchultz

My girlfriends family is all down there, and she's freaking out. Last I heard, everyone is busting arse to get out of there.

This one seems to be catastrophic though. If it hits at 4 or 5, this thing is kicking nuts and not taking names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've just been doing some reading and apparently Katrina is now the second most powerful hurricane in recorded hurricane history (only one in 1935 was stronger).

Estimates are that up to 1 million people could be left homeless in New Orleans and surrounding areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
schweb said:
I've just been doing some reading and apparently Katrina is now the second most powerful hurricane in recorded hurricane history (only one in 1935 was stronger).

Estimates are that up to 1 million people could be left homeless in New Orleans and surrounding areas.

It is bad... this is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Forget 9-11, forget the Tsunami this has the possibilty to be infinitely worse... this is absolutely the epitome of catastrophic... the things my eyes have witnessed these last couple of days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yeah, not good is right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.