Your opinion on Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, first timer's here. However, I have been here hundreds of time for useful information. Great place.

I have PowerPC G5 desktop that I have been using since 2005. Until lately, it shows some annoying problems that I can't get any result from the Discussion. I have been doing some research everywhere and I think it's the Graphic card and or the memories. I am not sure I want to get it fixed because the new softwares mostly work with the Intel Macs. Now that I am mobile most of the time, I am thinking of getting the new Mac Mini 2.6 with 4 GB RAM to replace the Power Mac and use the Display and the Keyboard. I have 2 Mac Book Pro's that I use when I'm out of town.

I do mostly graphic related subjects and use mostly Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, in that order. Also iMovie (looking upgrade to the Final Cut Exp. and Aperture).

Do you think this Mac Mini would be sufficient? If you have any experience with Mac Mini, I would love to hear from you.

The reason I want to get the Mac Mini is the money thing and I think the new Mac Pro's are overkill for what do and also I have a few Apple Displays left over from the office I've had.

Thank You. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi Everyone, first timer's here. However, I have been here hundreds of time for useful information. Great place.

I have PowerPC G5 desktop that I have been using since 2005. Until lately, it shows some annoying problems that I can't get any result from the Discussion. I have been doing some research everywhere and I think it's the Graphic card and or the memories. I am not sure I want to get it fixed because the new softwares mostly work with the Intel Macs. Now that I am mobile most of the time, I am thinking of getting the new Mac Mini 2.6 with 4 GB RAM to replace the Power Mac and use the Display and the Keyboard. I have 2 Mac Book Pro's that I use when I'm out of town.

I do mostly graphic related subjects and use mostly Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, in that order. Also iMovie (looking upgrade to the Final Cut Exp. and Aperture).

Do you think this Mac Mini would be sufficient? If you have any experience with Mac Mini, I would love to hear from you.

The reason I want to get the Mac Mini is the money thing and I think the new Mac Pro's are overkill for what do and also I have a few Apple Displays left over from the office I've had.

Thank You. :)

My opinion is a MacMini would do what you want. I have one that I use a Home Theater system. But you mention going mobile. In my opinion you would be better served by getting a refurb MacBook Pro 13in for ~$900 and using your Apple Displays when you want the larger screen.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
My opinion is a MacMini would do what you want. I have one that I use a Home Theater system. But you mention going mobile. In my opinion you would be better served by getting a refurb MacBook Pro 13in for ~$900 and using your Apple Displays when you want the larger screen.

That was my first idea. The one I was looking at is the 13 inch but I didn't know they have refurbished ones. The thing is I have 2 Mac Book Pros already, one is the 17" and the other is the first Intel Duo 15". The 15" is not suitable for what I do at all. I use it for communications basically.

I have to rethink about this.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That was my first idea. The one I was looking at is the 13 inch but I didn't know they have refurbished ones. The thing is I have 2 Mac Book Pros already, one is the 17" and the other is the first Intel Duo 15". The 15" is not suitable for what I do at all. I use it for communications basically.

I have to rethink about this.

In that case why not just upgrade (if needed) one of your MBPs and travel with it. Either should drive your Apple display and I believe can be used with a keyboard and mouse if you wish.

EDIT: Not that I want to discourage you from buying more Apple stuff. I am addicted to doing that myself. But, from your description of your needs, not sure you really gain anything. If you are looking for a desktop to use at home, I would go for a refurb iMac instead of Mac Mini but that is just me.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
In that case why not just upgrade (if needed) one of your MBPs and travel with it. Either should drive your Apple display and I believe can be used with a keyboard and mouse if you wish.

EDIT: Not that I want to discourage you from buying more Apple stuff. I am addicted to doing that myself. But, from your description of your needs, not sure you really gain anything. If you are looking for a desktop to use at home, I would go for a refurb iMac instead of Mac Mini but that is just me.

That's good too. I'll sit on this until my Power Mac stop booting up permanently, LOL. Thx.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Thread moved. Does not belong in "Anything Goes".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.