Connection problem with Windows server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I've just set up a new Windows XP machine on my network. I want to share a drive from it to my Mac. However, if I double-click on the machine name in Network/[workgroup name], I get a beachball for about a minute, then:
"The alias [machine name] could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." Options: Delete Alias, Fix Alias..., OK.
If I click Delete Alias, I get:
"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for [machine name]" - even though I have an administrator login, and I've tried a Repair Permissions.

There is another machine also on my workgroup, running Windows 2000, and I can and do share files with it happily through SMB/CIFS by mounting the Win2K share drive on the Mac. If I do the same as above I get a popup asking me which shared drive to mount, and it all works fine. I can also mount the XP drive on the 2000 machine, with no issues, so the problem doesn't obviously lie with the XP machine.

The first time I tried mounting a drive from the XP machine on the Mac, it worked too, but it doesn't any more! I'm not sure what, if anything, changed in the meanwhile. ****ed non-deterministic computers...

I've tried disabling the software firewall on the XP box, and also the Mac's software firewall, but this makes no difference. I've also tried rebooting the XP box, and the Mac. I'm running 10.4.

Thanks for any input.
David

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Update:

I tried renaming the XP box to see what would happen. The new name comes up in Network/[workgroup name]. When I click it, this time I get "To see the available shares for [machine name], click Connect" - this is different to before, I think. But when I click Connect, I get the beachball and the rest proceeds as above.

Still stumped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A simple question, but one that bears asking:

Are you sure you've enabled Sharing on the XP side?

M

Merlinblack

Also, another stupid question, is windows sharing enabled on the mac side?

Make sure when you share the folder on windows you check the allows users to modify my files box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
I am havin the same problem.
I have enabled sharing on both the windows machine and in my mac preferences.

The ultra strange thing is that I can access it from another powebook in my office. Which leads me to think it is a problem with my computer...

Please help... I am going insane!

Thanks

N

nicknamefij

i am having the exact same problem. it works sometimes. but a majority of the time is give the same error message about the alias. tried changing the name.. same thing.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
N

nicknamefij

i have tried everything listed!

nothing is fixing this. all other computers have no problem, even the mac-mini can connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.