Compatibility of Hyperdrive ColorspaceUDMA with a Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.6.8
Is anyone here using the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA as a backup device? I was thinking of getting one for travelling abroad but am wondering about compatability with my macbook. On Hyperdrive's support page there did seem to be few questions about users' inability to transfer photos to their mac that weren't sufficiently addressed - the Hyperdrive response is that it is a Mac OS issue and directs to a useless page on Apple support. So I thought I'd inquire on this forum to see if someone can give me a "field report".
Diane

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is anyone here using the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA as a backup device? I was thinking of getting one for travelling abroad but am wondering about compatability with my macbook. On Hyperdrive's support page there did seem to be few questions about users' inability to transfer photos to their mac that weren't sufficiently addressed - the Hyperdrive response is that it is a Mac OS issue and directs to a useless page on Apple support. So I thought I'd inquire on this forum to see if someone can give me a "field report".
Diane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. Post to one forum only. If you feel that you posted to the wrong forum, ask a moderator to move it for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies. I was looking for a way to move it when I wasn't getting any response but didn't realize a moderator had to move it for me. Do I PM a moderator to get something moved in the future?
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I own one and don't have any problems transferring images to my MacBook Pro. When you connect it with the included USB cable your Mac should detect it as an external hard drive. From there you just copy the files over to your computer.

I'm using Snow Leopard Mac OS 10.6.6 so I don't know if there are issues with older Mac OS. The Hyperdrive is a great portable external hard drive for your images. It was well worth the purchase for me but remember to only use it as a backup because you don't want to lose your images if your drop the device.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I am on an older Macbook with OS 10.5.8. but I don't want to lug it around on my trip. I was also thinking of getting a g-tec mini portable HD to connect to the Colorspace as a redundancy backup as I will have to scrub my cards part way through the month-long trip, I'm sure.
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can connect an external hard drive to the Hyperdrive. I believe it needs to be connected to a computer to transfer/copy over your files. It might be able to do what you are asking for but I have never done it myself so I can't confirm. I've only copied files to my computer.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can connect an external hard drive to the Hyperdrive. I believe it needs to be connected to a computer to transfer/copy over your files. It might be able to do what you are asking for but I have never done it myself so I can't confirm. I've only copied files to my computer.

The Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA can transfer to another external HD via the OTG adapter. The Hyperdrive for iPad, however, cannot be connected to an external HD - only a computer or iPad.
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. Wait...who is helping who out here? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.