Help - Accidentally deleted Microsoft Office while using AutoUpdate

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I ran a manual update of Microsoft Office using AutoUpdate. Apparently I hadn't updated in over a year or two and the number of updates to be installed was over 1000. It was taking a long time (at that rate, probably hours) and at the time I had to shut off the computer, so I interrupted the process. There was a warning message (something about having to reinstall if I interrupted the update), which I stupidly ignored.

Today, when I tried to open a Word document, I realized my Microsoft Office applications are gone.

What can I do? I had a legally registered copy but I don't have any of the files or serial numbers because a friend installed everything for me since I am really not knowledgeable about these things.

Possibly relevant information -- I believe I had Office 2004 and the last (and only) time I backed up my entire computer using "Time Machine" (to an external harddrive which was a hand-me-down) was about one year ago (and I actually don't quite understand how "Time Machine" works. I dont want to lose the documents and pictures I have since saved to my computer). When I look through my folders, it seems all of the titles and folders pertaining to Microsoft Office are still there, but the actual applications have just disappeared.

I have a MacBook Air which I purchased 3 years ago, right when it came out. I only use my computer for word processing, internet and photos, so this is really a big problem for me. . .

I would appreciate any advice.... I know it was stupid of me to ignore the warning but I couldn't wait for 1000+ updates at the time. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ok so a few things...

Even if you hadn't updated Office in a few years, you would not have had 1000 updates...maybe, and I'm being generous, 5. But MS only release Office updates a few times a year and those are packaged with previous fixes meaning you'd have one update for multiple releases.

And you may want to talk to your "friend" about getting your "legal" copy of Office back, otherwise you're out of luck. If you really registered it with Microsoft, give them a call and they can help.

You can always buy a new version of Office or download one of the open source alternatives, or try iWork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go out, spend a buck and buy your very own copy of Office 2011 as it is a much better program than Office 2004.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.