Question about Garageband loading and looking for instrument library

P

Pineapple Devil

when my garageband opens it says

"The Instrument Library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand.
Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand."

i looked in that path and the folder is there.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Pineapple Devil said:

"The Instrument Library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand.
Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand."

any ideas?
I would delete all of those Folders and trash whatever GarageBand files there are first, and then reinstall if from your iLife disc.
You might also want to try a Permissions Repair, but I would do the GarageBand reinstall from your iLife disc first in this case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Did you do the permissions repair first.... then reinstall it?
If not, make sure that you trash all GarageBand files, then repair permissions, then reinstall it from your DVD.

Your install media might be corrupted or dirty too, you might want to clean the DVD's, to make sure that they are OK.

Reaction score

any ideas?

Hi! I just solved this issue (by myself, which I am quite proud of). What I did was I went onto my desktop, and in the toolbar I clicked "Go". From there, I clicked "Home" and then double clicked the Library folder (if you cannot see your Library folder, go to the gear at the top of the finder window [still in the home category] and click "see view options", then click "show library folder"). I then clicked into the Application Support folder and found the Garageband folder. Click into that, and you will see "Instrument Library". Next, open Garageband. Click "choose" when prompted that your Instrument Library folder is invalid. It will open a second finder window for you. Go into he home category again (mine is called Mac HD), and go back into the library folder, application support, garageband. Then, before you do anything, you may notice that you do not see the Instrument Library in the second finder's window in the Garageband folder. Go back to the first finder window you opened, click and drag the Instrument Library folder into the second finder window, into the Garageband folder. then click it once, and click "choose". Garageband should open right up!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mary:

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Please observe the dates of the threads you respond to. Although your post was a good one and we thank you for it, you responded to a thread that was 9 years old. ;)

jamesm70

Reaction score
Hi! I just solved this issue (by myself, which I am quite proud of). What I did was I went onto my desktop, and in the toolbar I clicked "Go". From there, I clicked "Home" and then double clicked the Library folder (if you cannot see your Library folder, go to the gear at the top of the finder window [still in the home category] and click "see view options", then click "show library folder"). I then clicked into the Application Support folder and found the Garageband folder. Click into that, and you will see "Instrument Library". Next, open Garageband. Click "choose" when prompted that your Instrument Library folder is invalid. It will open a second finder window for you. Go into he home category again (mine is called Mac HD), and go back into the library folder, application support, garageband. Then, before you do anything, you may notice that you do not see the Instrument Library in the second finder's window in the Garageband folder. Go back to the first finder window you opened, click and drag the Instrument Library folder into the second finder window, into the Garageband folder. then click it once, and click "choose". Garageband should open right up!
that worked!!!! thanks so much for the info

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It just shows why we keep (old) threads open. Along comes you and a solution is forthcoming.

And - a very warm welcome to our forums. Glad to have you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.