Unable to use BootCamp to partition my HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I tried using BootCamp to partition my MAC HD so I could install Win7. I selected the "divide equally" feature and it started it's thing, about half way through the process a dialog box pops open that says I can't do this as you can't move files (not exact error message but close).

I'm not trying to "move any files (that I'm aware of) does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on why I can't use BootCamp to partition my MAC's HD?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Is the hard drive you're trying to partition more than half full?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amount of free space really doesn't matter. It has to do with the amount of "contiguous" free space.

Your options:
1. Select a smaller partition.
2. Reinstall OS X and restore from your backup via Time Machine/Migration Assistant...
3. Clone your internal drive from your cloned backup
4. De-frag your hard drive.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Amount of free space really doesn't matter. It has to do with the amount of "contiguous" free space.

Your options:
1. Select a smaller partition.
2. Reinstall OS X and restore from your backup via Time Machine/Migration Assistant...
3. Clone your internal drive from your cloned backup
4. De-frag your hard drive.

That's what I'm learning, I only selected the "divide equally" function becuase it was there and sounded "easy". I really only need about 50GB, so I'll try creating a smaller partition.

As far as "defragging" I didn't think I needed to do that with a MAC. I can't find any app in the App folder to defrag my HD. Could someone point me to it?

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

If he's got a 250GB drive with 100 GB free, he can't do an equal partition. Therefore, total free space may be just as relevant as contiguous free space. If his answer to my question was "yes", problem solved. If it was "No", then the amount of contiguous free space would indeed be the next thing to examine. Didn't see the need to overcomplicate it unless necessary. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I'm learning, I only selected the "divide equally" function becuase it was there and sounded "easy". I really only need about 50GB, so I'll try creating a smaller partition.

As far as "defragging" I didn't think I needed to do that with a MAC. I can't find any app in the App folder to defrag my HD. Could someone point me to it?

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

It's a myth that MacOSX never needs defragging. The OS handles file fragmentation well, but whole disk fragmentation a bit less well. Try out this program if you need it:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

You won't necessarily notice a speed increase, but defragging the OSX file system does help with the occasional flaky error.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a myth that MacOSX never needs defragging. The OS handles file fragmentation well, but whole disk fragmentation a bit less well. Try out this program if you need it:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

You won't necessarily notice a speed increase, but defragging the OSX file system does help with the occasional flaky error.

Thanks, I'll try this first before I attempt to BootCamp my iMAC

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit of a warning regarding iDefrag. It's a great product (I own a copy), however, it's not as easy to use or understand as a typical Windows defrag program. And worse, it takes many times longer to do it's work. The best way is an overnight defrag. And since you need to consolidate free space on your hard drive, that means a separate boot which disables the use of the machine while it's going on.

My recommendation: Use your install DVD to erase the hard drive, reinstall Snow Leopard and during the reinstall process, use your Time Machine backup to restore. This method is faster and provides complete defragmentation and consolidation of free space.

Of course, it's up to you which method to use.

C

chas_m

I agree with chscag's recommendation (except he forgot to stress making a backup FIRST -- it seems obvious but you'd be surprised!). His method also has the advantage of being free.

I do a variation of this myself once or twice a year: make a TM backup (this part happens automatically of course), make a BOOTABLE clone copy (I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this), test the clone by booting up from it, use it to erase the original boot drive (low-level erase), then restore from the clone. My understanding is that iDefrag might in some ways be better, but I can't see spending that kind of money for something I need to do very very infrequently.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update, decided I'd give AppleCare a call. The tech had me install the OS X DVD and run a Disc Utility. It uncovered some errors on my HD which it was able to fix.

He also suggested that when I'm ready to partition and install Win7 to give them a call and they'd walk me through the process. Seems they have received many calls on the process and it's not as easy when things go wrong for a new owner to just wipe their HD and start over.

I need to gather some drivers that are not on the OS X or Win7 disc's before I can proceed. I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding is that iDefrag might in some ways be better, but I can't see spending that kind of money for something I need to do very very infrequently.

Have to agree. Although iDefrag is only $29.95 and does do a very thorough job of defragmentation and consolidation of free space, it gets downright scary when it tells you that it has to reboot and take control of the machine. I bought it on a whim but have only used it once since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.