Cisco VPN problems

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a macbook pro on Mac 10.6.6 the problem i have is the following

when i connect to my network using a ethernet connection I am able to access all my internal servers etc.

However when I connect using a wireless conenction, I can connect to the vpn successfully but I cannot access or ping any internal servers in my network?

So it seems that vpn works fine over wired but has issues over wireless?

What can be the problem here?

Kind Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm guessing over ethernet you have an internal company DNS server set up, that you haven't configured to work over VPN.

Try this:

- Connect over ethernet
- Open System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > DNS
- Check to see which DNS servers and search domains are listed and make a note of them
- Hit cancel and go to VPN > Advanced and amend the DNS settings to match the settings under ethernet

Does that solve it?

OP
R
Reaction score
The wired and wireless are both in the same location both picking up a dhcp address.

I checked the vpn connection setting when it connected and it picks up the DNS and domain name of the site I want to connect to however it just doesnt ping anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, normally the DNS stuff should be included over DNS, but the VPN gateway can also override that..

Can you ping things by IP address?

OP
R
Reaction score
nah i cnt ping anything on the internal network..

are there any security settings on the wireless adapter that may prevent access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to clarify: when you use ethernet, you don't need the VPN right? Only if you're on wifi?

If that's the case, it's an issue with the VPN configuration itself then. Basically the way your VPN connection is set up will determine whether or not you are allowed to access certain networks.

Getting the VPN connected just means that you can connect to the VPN gateway, the other configuration settings then determine which servers you can get to. Looks like you might need to ask your VPN admins.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.