HDD head parking problem while running windows 7!! Yikes!

Reaction score
Ok so I put a WD7500PVT hard drive into my early 2009 unibody MBP. The first thing I noticed with the drive was that it was parking the head every 3 seconds or so, but a quick search got that problem fixed while running OSX. But now while running windows 7 it still parks the head every 3 seconds while idle!! My Load Cycle count is sky rocketing!!

I did tons of google searches trying to find a solution but came up empty handed. Does anyone know of a solution? I'm not savy with windows 7 is there some kind of power management option or am I totally SOL?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What on earth are you talking about?

What is a WD7500PVT?

PVT?

My Load Cycle count is sky rocketing!!?

HD parking it's head while idle.... Good thing no?

OP
V
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

What is a WD7500PVT?

PVT?

My Load Cycle count is sky rocketing!!?

HD parking it's head while idle.... Good thing no?

WD7500PVT is the model number of the Wester Digital Hard Drive that I installed. Its a 750GB scorpio blue drive.

The load cycle count is the count of how many times the Hard Drive has parked it's head. The Hard Drive itself keeps count of this, and it can be retrieved by running a SMART status report on the drive.

A hard drive's life is only good for about 600,000 hard drive head parks.

The problem is that when I'm booted into windows 7, for some reason the macbook hardware is telling the HD to park it's head because it's not currently in use, but then the system wakes the drive back up when it requests anything from the drive. While windows is running, from the drive, the head should never park, it should only park when you turn on or off or sleep your computer. But instead the head is parking and then unparking every 3 seconds!! so 60 / 3 = 20 times per minute. 20 * 60 minutes = 1200 per hour. 28,800 times per day, if left running for 24 hours. Meaning that my Hard drive will die if left on for about 28 days straight.

When I am booted into OSX there is already a solution for this problem and it's fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.