iPad 2 with 3G

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to buy iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, but I have some pre-purchase questions.
- Is it required to buy AT&T contract? (I already have AT&T 3G SIM Card).
- I usually go to Europe which they're using HSDPA 2100, can I install European 3G card in iPad 2 with no problems?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, it is not required to purchase a data plan. The beauty of the iPad setup is that you can purchase 3G data whenever you like, there is no long term contract like with cellphones.

The iPad is technically unlocked, but to get 3G speeds, you're limited to 850MHz, 1900MHz, and 2100MHz bands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,
I'd like to buy iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, but I have some pre-purchase questions.
- Is it required to buy AT&T contract? (I already have AT&T 3G SIM Card).
- I usually go to Europe which they're using HSDPA 2100, can I install European 3G card in iPad 2 with no problems?

TÚAW has it from the horse's mouth that the iPad 2 is not carrier locked and you should be able to use in Europe no problemo.

Confirmed: iPad 2 will NOT be carrier-locked in Canada, or anywhere else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Just be sure to purchase the AT&T version, not the

Verizon version.

Reaction score
TÚAW has it from the horse's mouth that the iPad 2 is not carrier locked and you should be able to use in Europe no problemo.

Confirmed: iPad 2 will NOT be carrier-locked in Canada, or anywhere else

I read the link you provided and I am somewhat concerned that it means if I am travelling I need to bring my laptop loaded with iTunes (which my PC based laptop is not) to resync if I travel say to the States and want to get a months worth of coverage there. Seems kinda crazy that you would have to have a laptop to get the ipad to do what it is replacing the laptop for ie; checking email, web surfing etc.

Also, if travelling to the US is there any problem with a (in my case Canadian) using my Canadian Mastercard to purchase a months worth of ipad data and a sim card. I thought I read somewhere that this may be a problem and you would have to maybe go and buy one of those credit cards where you preload money onto it???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read the link you provided and I am somewhat concerned that it means if I am travelling I need to bring my laptop loaded with iTunes (which my PC based laptop is not) to resync if I travel say to the States and want to get a months worth of coverage there. Seems kinda crazy that you would have to have a laptop to get the ipad to do what it is replacing the laptop for ie; checking email, web surfing etc.

That's interesting. I hadn't previously seen the update to the article that addresses this issue, but it does seem to be limited to Canadians. Of course that's of no consolation to a Canadian... but yes, that is insane.

Also, if travelling to the US is there any problem with a (in my case Canadian) using my Canadian Mastercard to purchase a months worth of ipad data and a sim card. I thought I read somewhere that this may be a problem and you would have to maybe go and buy one of those credit cards where you preload money onto it???
It shouldn't be a problem since it's MasterCard, however I would call them to verify this.

Reaction score
Does anyone else think the growing prevalence and affordability of mifi devices is going to make a 3g iPad a bad investment? I can see just getting a mifi for laptop, iPad, iPods, etc and not worrying about individual iPad 3g connectivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone else think the growing prevalence and affordability of mifi devices is going to make a 3g iPad a bad investment? I can see just getting a mifi for laptop, iPad, iPods, etc and not worrying about individual iPad 3g connectivity.

Well I for one wouldn't want to carry an iPad and a MiFi device around. If you have an iPhone 4+, then that can be the MiFi device thanks to the upcoming update. I haven't seen mention of the Personal Hotspot being an option for the iPad, but there's no good reason not to. Perhaps they are waiting to release the 3G models of the iPad 2. So if anything, I see MiFi devices as the ones in danger here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about iPad 1, is it unlocked?

Yes, though I don't know if it has the same restrictions as the iPad 2 does per discussion here earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Nah, who wants two devices to lug around? Also, MiFi, and even iPhone hotspot functionality usually require post-paid or contractual service. MiFi also requires an activation fee (and you have to pay the fee again if you don't use the service for 3 months). The 3G on the iPad is a pay as you go. I can choose when I need it, however infrequent that might be, and just pay for it then.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, though I don't know if it has the same restrictions as the iPad 2 does per discussion here earlier.
iPad 1 is also limited to 850, 1900, 2100 MHz, and Europe uses 2100, so I guess iPad 1 is also working in Europe with no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
The problem I have with MiFi type devices is the data usage. Some of them claim to have "unlimited" data plans, but may cut your speed if you go over a certain amount. Also, they can change your contract at any time, so what they claim now might not hold true in a month.

I won't be canceling my iPad AT&T unlimited data plan any time soon. Truly unlimited and only $30 a month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.