Syncing Android Phone and Computer over College Network

Reaction score
Hey guys. First time posting here because I'm at a standstill with my problem. I go to a relatively small campus college and I am living in a room by myself. Being at a college with a wifi signal virtually all over campus, there have to be multiple networks, right? I use Boxee and iTunes to watch DVD's/connect to Netflix and listen to music from my bed. I want to sync my Android Phone to my computer via wifi to control these two programs. I already downloaded the Boxee app and the TunesRemote+ app for my phone and they worked on my network back home. However, when I get to campus, my phone cannot find my computer, presumably because, for whatever reason, my computer and phone are using different access points or networks. I can't change the network on my computer using the Airport icon in the toolbar because it's just one network. When I sign into the network in my phone, there are different URL's to login: "nac-cas1-red.net.schoolname.edu", "nac-cas2-red.net.schoolname.edu" etc. I've tried connecting to all of those but changing that doesn't fix the problem. But, like I said, when I'm at home and I'm on MY network, it is no problem connecting to my computer. What's the best way to put these two devices on the same network? I don't want to have to buy a router or an Apple remote to fix this.

PS. I also have an iPod that has the "Boxee" and "Remote" app that would work as well if you are unfamiliar with Android phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It ay not be access points. The school could simply have blocked the ports that the devices require to communicate with each other over the network. Not all that uncommon and many public networks do this to keep bandwidth from being bogged down/hogged by a few users. Many hotels do this as well.

Talk to your schools IT dept and see what they say, odds are they can tell you pretty quickly what the issue is. Remember, you're not at home any more and this stuff isn't really "free".

If you want real control, get Internet service through your local cable company (or other provider) and set up your own network. Then you can do whatever.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, my schools IT department is pretty worthless. It's run by students who usually don't do anything other than reformatting computers. It seems that every time I call them, they are stumped and don't know what to do. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If they are as worthless as you say, see if you can get a look at the campus network setup. Maybe you can see if they have blocked ports and make some "improvements".

Otherwise, no. Not being an Android user I don't know much about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.