Photographer going mac....help

C

chas_m

Also, just for the record, Photomatix Pro is available for the Mac. I just wanted to be sure readers of this thread were aware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Also, just for the record, Photomatix Pro is available for the Mac. I just wanted to be sure readers of this thread were aware.

Works quite nicely too.

Reaction score
As a fellow pro, I just made the switch to mac about 2 months ago and it has been flawless. Aside from the learning curve of going from windows to mac; I decided to learn learn mac rather than try to make it work/run like windows.

I did the cross platform upgrade from CS3 to CS5 and didn't have any problems.

My recommendation is just stick with CS5; it is able to do everything all those other programs can do. I used to use about 8-10 different programs but over time I found that it was just easier and quicker with photoshop.

But that's my 2C

Reaction score
I have Portrait Professional for Mac and it runs fine :)

About the MBP. The CPU upgrade makes little difference. The single biggest upgrade that will impact the performance the most is SSD. I would not buy a new laptop today with a slow 5200rpm drive. It really kills the performance and defeats the purpose of a new i5/i7 CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz + Mac Mini (Mid 2011)
Have you also looked into Aperture? Ive been using it for some time now and it has the more advanced features

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Novice Photog here too.....
CS5 and L3 user but have a 5 year old MBP. Looking to upgrade very soon.
2tb external - partitioned in half/ storage of photos and time machine.

I prefer the matte screen because I can't stand seeing reflections on my monitor.... bugs the crap outta me. LOL!!!

Won't purchase a new MBP until I know that Lion is bug free (sorta) or won't mess with my current apps. I heard there were some twitches.

Never used Bridge. Probabaly just too much hierarchy for me? I dunno... can't be bothered to sort it out.

Tried aperture.. didn't like it..... Lightroom's my friend!! :D

Have a blast with your new machine!! You'll love it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
BTW, Adobe will allow a cross platform upgrade to CS5 for the normal $199 upgrade price. In fact I got a 10% discount for buying online from adobe.

All you need is a legit SN from either cs3 or cs4 to activate your upgrade. Not a bad deal!

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I have a question regarding cross platform upgrade...

I have a Windows version of CS4 Web Premium (now an iMac owner), but have fallen out with the majority of the programmes and just want photoshop...

Will adobe allow me use to SN from that, to upgrade to solely Ps CS5?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'll need to call and ask Adobe. I've found them to be more than helpful whenever I've contacted them, and it'll likely not be an issue.. and I believe that they'd do that.. however, it's not clearly articulated in their upgrade wizard.

Upgrade information for CS5.5 from CS5, CS4, CS3, and CS2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your response! I had a click through that link you posted and found the following;

You cannot upgrade from products within a suite edition to individual products. To get the latest version of an individual product, you must purchase the full product.

So I'm guessing that because my version is part of the suite 'CS4 Web Premium', I'm outta luck. I'll get in touch with them anyway as it seems a bit off that you can't upgrade having spent over £1000 on software...

Failing that, the missus is a student so I'll just use her to get the student version of CS5 for a ridiculously cut-down price! :)

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
If its any use, I am a photographer too, I had my 13inch MacBook and recently switched to the 27inch iMac which is the best decision I made for photograph editing. Now if you are sticking with a laptop, Aperture is more then capable for your editing needs and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for about $70, follow that with Adobe Elements 9 for roughly the same price and between the two your pretty much covered.

BruunPHOTO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.