Macbook Pro - Need advice

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, but I've been searching for the answer to my questions. Since I couldn't find any related questions I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm going to purchase either a MBP 13" or 15" some time within the next few months. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding the right Mac for my needs.

I currently use Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver CS5 on a daily basis for my classes and side projects.
I'm just getting into After Effects and Flash, and will continue to use these two programs.

My question is, which Macbook Pro would best suit my type of work? Hardware configurations?

Also, I'm waiting for Apple to announce the back-to-school summer deal (free ipod touch w/purchase of new Mac). Anyone know when this starts?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Either one would be powerful enough to do what you would like, but you might find the added real estate of the 15" display beneficial for multimedia editing. Try the included 4GB of RAM first, and if necessary upgrade later to 8GB, as aftermarket pricing is less than through Apple.

Last year's Back to School offer began near the end of May, and I believe it went on until late July or mid August IIR.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I guess I'm not quite sure if the entry level 15" MBP would be good enough or the high-end one. Is the processor speed really worth the $$$? Or installing 8GB of RAM on the entry level 15" MBP better?

Is the 2.0GHz i7 really faster than the 2.2Ghz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Considering the predominance of your work will be done in graphics intensive applications, I'd consider the more expensive 15" with the better graphics card. Processor speed difference is negligible - 10%. But the better graphics card with 1GB of VRAM vs. the cheaper card with only 256mb VRAM would probably make a huge difference and would provide you with a better experience over the long haul. Go with the 4gb of RAM for now, but keep an eye on your pageouts in Activity Monitor->Memory. If they rack up too quickly, you're running out of working memory and need to upgrade to 8GB. Upgrade using aftermarket memory though - you'll save a bunch (today $200 from Apple, $112 from Other World Computing).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice. You helped me make my decision. I think I want my MBP for the long haul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.