iPad2 specs Meh, considering buying iPad 1..a few questions...

Reaction score
I was definitely thinking iPad 2 as soon as it comes out here 25th of March. However, I am not bowled over by the iPad 2 new features, camera, thickness, a bit faster etc. Meh! With 2 kids living in Res at University, money is certainly a factor.

Looking for your advice:

Now, if I can get either a Gen 1-32gb 3G refurb or Gen 1-64gb 3G refurb, I will buy one of them It would be my preference to buy a refurb from Apple rather than buying used. However, the apple.ca store only has 2 wifi units for sale at the moment. I plan to call Apple and see if they have any 3G 32 or 64 units they haven't posted on their site.

I am leary to buy used off Craigslist or Kijiji as I wont know what kind of condition it is in just by looking at/playing with it for a few minutes.
Is there any way to tell which is which (3G or Wi-Fi) just by looking at the ipad externally. Does it appear different on parts of the outside of it? How will I know if they don't have the original bill of sale how old it is and is it still under the original 1 yr warranty? If I buy used I would definitely buy the Apple Care extended warranty for the sake of $79.

:Confused:

Reaction score
The wifi is all silver on the back all the way up. The 3G has a black part at the top that is very noticeable. If you go to the apple website when u see the pictures of the iPad it has pics of both wifi and 3G. Not to mention when the 3G is on you will also see service like a iPhone on the top left.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All iPads are still under the original 1 year warranty. They came out April 3rd of last year, so no worry about adding AppleCare on any of them up to that date this year.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I definitely understand the money issue with kids in college. All three of mine are out now (a real blessing). However, I can't see going iPad 1 if you also want 3G. You save $150 by going refurb and first generation, but 3G data plan is going to run ~$300/yr (I don't think the first tier data plan is worth having-but that's just my opinion).
If you keep the iPad w/plan for say 4 years you are looking at the difference between $1930 and $1780 for a 32GB plus 3G service. The price difference works out to saving something like 8%, for which you get a faster processor, faster graphics, thinner and lighter and Facetime capability with the cameras.

The only way going first gen iPad (and I have 2 and love them) to me makes sense is if you go with refurb wifi because money is tight. In that case you are looking at $450 vs $600 which is a 25% cost savings.

My opinion FWIW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
My 3G data plan on my iPad is free

except on the rare occasion when I activate it for a week or two, that is. Otherwise the beauty is that no dataplan is required.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
The reason I want 3G is that here I don't have to commit to a data plan. I may end up paying $15 each month or $20 a month worst case scenario. My cell provider, Rogers offers 250MB data for $15 a month no contract (their only other option is $35 for 5GB. Another one which I am more seriously considering is Telus which seems to be offering $20 a month no contract for 500MB and their upper tier is $30 for 5GB.
On the other hand, if I decide I don't need 3G and wifi will suffice, then that is ok too as they all come wifi as you know.

Also, I don't care whatsoever about facetime as it is only good while on a wifi network, or the camera on the back. I have a multitude of cameras including my iPhone 4.
Thinner, lighter and faster is nice, but financially a refurb 32GB 3G is $579 + 13% tax (Canadian funds). If I were to buy an iPad 2, I would definitely go for a 64GB 3G which will sell for $879 + 13% tax. (Go big or go home!)
On top of all this rationale is the thought that if I buy an original iPad and find I use it a lot, I will probably sell it when what I consider a worthwhile upgrade comes out.

Each to his own, but I am not wowed by the upgrades they have made on the 2 compared to the one, especially when using my math up above I stand to save $339. in total buying the 32GB iPad 1 compared to the 64GB iPad 2.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The reason I want 3G is that here I don't have to commit to a data plan. I may end up paying $15 each month or $20 a month worst case scenario. My cell provider, Rogers offers 250MB data for $15 a month no contract (their only other option is $35 for 5GB. Another one which I am more seriously considering is Telus which seems to be offering $20 a month no contract for 500MB and their upper tier is $30 for 5GB.
On the other hand, if I decide I don't need 3G and wifi will suffice, then that is ok too as they all come wifi as you know.

Also, I don't care whatsoever about facetime as it is only good while on a wifi network, or the camera on the back. I have a multitude of cameras including my iPhone 4.
Thinner, lighter and faster is nice, but financially a refurb 32GB 3G is $579 + 13% tax (Canadian funds). If I were to buy an iPad 2, I would definitely go for a 64GB 3G which will sell for $879 + 13% tax. (Go big or go home!)
On top of all this rationale is the thought that if I buy an original iPad and find I use it a lot, I will probably sell it when what I consider a worthwhile upgrade comes out.

Each to his own, but I am not wowed by the upgrades they have made on the 2 compared to the one, especially when using my math up above I stand to save $339. in total buying the 32GB iPad 1 compared to the 64GB iPad 2.
I understand your math. I got the 64GB 3G for the same reason. After nine months with it I realize the 32GB wifi model would probably have sufficed. Regardless, when I upgrade to gen 2(or 3) I'll probably go with the top line model again.
As you said, and I tend to follow, "go big or go home".
Which ever way you go, enjoy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I was definitely thinking iPad 2 as soon as it comes out here 25th of March. However, I am not bowled over by the iPad 2 new features, camera, thickness, a bit faster etc. Meh!

Well, it's a lot faster. The iPad can crawl occasionally (one of its worst kept secrets)... the New York Times app for example, same with WSJ and worst of all is The Daily. RAM is definitely one issue, but so is processing grunt. With 3 - 9 times the power, the iPad 2 will feel a way faster, especially if they upped the RAM as rumored.

Having said that, the first machine is excellent - I think 32GB is the sweet spot (I have that one) and it's a lot of space.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Well, being female I am allowed to change my mind! For the sake of the speed factor and the fact that what I really want is as much memory as I can have (I keep my iPod Touch and iPhone 4 with tons of movies on them), then I have now come full circle in my thought process. I, along with all of your help and reading tons of other posts, other websites, etc. have decided it is not worth it to buy last years model. I will try to get online asap the first night they are up for grabs here (25th) and buy the 64gb 3g. Thanks for all the helpful info!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.