do I have to put in my win xp disc on my mac to run virtual pc?

Reaction score
I just install virtual pc in my new work imac g5 w tiger computer and it is asking me to put in os win xp disc.

I do have a win xp disc from my home computer, do I use that? I thought I could use virtual pc w/o an installation disc? Is there a way to use Virtual pc w/o a window installation disc? Most ppl dont have a window installation disc hanging around. Please help.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
not used virtual pc personally but i thought that all it did was allow you to install a copy of windows on your mac to emulate, hence it asking for a windows xp disc.

Plus how does virtual pc know which version on windows you want to emulate?

also provided you arent currently using your copy of windows and its uninstalled on your pc then you are free to use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cooljoe815 said:
I just install virtual pc in my new work imac g5 w tiger computer and it is asking me to put in os win xp disc.

I do have a win xp disc from my home computer, do I use that? I thought I could use virtual pc w/o an installation disc? Is there a way to use Virtual pc w/o a window installation disc? Most ppl dont have a window installation disc hanging around. Please help.

TIA
You need a Windows install disc so you can actually install the image to run when you start VPC. VPC is only an emulator, and it needs to know what version of Windows you want to run, hence you need something to install Windows first.
For the people who don't have a Windows install disc, they do sell versions with one included, you just need to be careful which version you purchase. I am surprised the salesperson didn't tell you this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.