By pass internal HD on iMac

Reaction score
I would like to bypass my internal hd on a 2006 17" imac--disk is on its last legs, will start-up after several tries.

Is it possible to disconnect the existing drive and connect --via usp or firewire--to an external drive?

thanks, wjc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to correct forum.

Yes. You will need a USB or Firewire drive with a copy of OS X on it. In other words, bootable. Upon startup, press the OPTION key and select the external drive. Note, however, everything will be slow when booting off an external drive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you do not want to have to press the Option key each time you will have to go into the Startup preference pane and set the external drive as the startup drive.

Reaction score
Note: Moved to correct forum.
Note, however, everything will be slow when booting off an external drive.

This isn't necessarily true - I had to start booting off a Lacie FW backup when the HDD in my 2006 iMac gave up the ghost a few months ago. It's actually quicker than the internal drive. Depends on the disk, I guess.

I set the Lacie to be my boot drive, and every time I re-boot I select the internal drive in a Finder window and eject it; unless I do this is seems to make the whole system slower.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This isn't necessarily true - I had to start booting off a Lacie FW backup when the HDD in my 2006 iMac gave up the ghost a few months ago. It's actually quicker than the internal drive. Depends on the disk, I guess.

You must have an extremely fast LaCie FW drive then. I've never seen an external drive (even the old SCSI) that was able to outperform an internal one. The reason is bus speed. Even FW 800 is not as fast as the internal bus.

Reaction score
Or maybe my internal drive had become very slow... Five years old, used 12+ hours a day. I noticed a difference as soon as I booted up with the external drive. Waiting for iMac refresh to buy a new one!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the rumor mill and the usual Apple schedule of upgrades, we should see a new iMac lineup in the next two months - perhaps as early as the end of March, beginning of April.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.