Can text be made darker?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
My old eyes don't like the light gray text that Mac displays. Sometimes the contrast between the text and the background is not enough for comfortable reading.

Thanks for any help.

Larry H

C

chas_m

Are you speaking about this forum specifically, or on everything?

On my Mac, text is black -- except for Mac-Forums, who have deliberately set their text to grey.

You may want to adjust the contrast on your monitor also.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas,

This forum for sure, and sites like apple and some others. Funny, the text I am typing now is black, but it goes to gray when posted.

On edit I just set the monitor contrast as high as it will go with no change apparent to the gray text.
Larry H

Reaction score
This forum is hard to read, for this 45 year old. Black text would be nice.

C

chas_m

This forum is hard to read, for this 45 year old. Black text would be nice.

This 48-year-old who has no trouble reading the grey text says, "command-plus should fix that for ya." :)

(PS. In Safari prefs -> Advanced I also have "never use any font smaller than 11" set)

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas,

Enlarging the type does help a little, and I have set min type size, but my eyes have 20 years on yours, and need more contrast. Gray on white is not as bad as gray on light blue. Too bad there is not an option on the forum for type color.

Thanks for your help, how's spring in Victoria, my favorite BC city?

Larry H

C

chas_m

I agree with you that the forum should offer some colour choices.

Spring has been unusually cold this year -- no cherry blossoms yet :( -- we even had a few days of snow a week or so ago. But we can feel spring coming, slowly but surely. Thanks for asking!

Reaction score
If you use Firefox, click Firefox > Preferences > Content > Colors. You can make selections for regular Text, Links, and background colors. Then uncheck the box labeled "Allow pages to choose their own colors..." Click OK, and you should see things a little more clearly.

Good luck.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shikarnov,

I do use Firefox and your way works!!

I thank you and my eyes thank you,

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, it would just make sense for the forum to change the text to black. Obviously, that would render the highest contrast with the white background. To not do that is just puzzling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ooo just tried the Firefox thing. Interesting, never really bothered me, but it is better in black.
However, did it also separate each post into it's own box too? It has done for me. Most odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I sympathise with OP but having just tried this Firefox text colour change I have to say that this site looks far better in grey rather than black. I'm (only) 58 now but perhaps in a few years I may feel different!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hey, if dark-gray-text-on-a-light-gray-background is good enough for iTunes and the Finder Sidebar, then it ought to be good enough for this forum.

After all, Steve Jobs personally reviews the appearance of all Apple products, and he's a certified aesthetic genius. Bow before his superior fashion sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hey, if dark-gray-text-on-a-light-gray-background is good enough for iTunes and the Finder Sidebar, then it ought to be good enough for this forum.

After all, Steve Jobs personally reviews the appearance of all Apple products, and he's a certified aesthetic genius. Bow before his superior fashion sense!

Lol....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.