Mac becomes unresponsive

Reaction score
Howdy everybody, I've got a slight issue with my Core2Duo macbook that i purchased this time last year. Every now and then I try and open a program which requires information from the internet, the program becomes unresponsive i.e. Utorrent, and other online games - WoW, Diablo 2 etc. Then some days they open fine. This is really starting to bug me and I was wondering if anybody out there can help me.

Kindest Regards

Nick B

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you tried repairing permissions in disk utility? its under the "first aid" tab. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay describe what you mean by unresponsive. what happens, is it just slow to load online, or is it beach balling you?

OP
B
Reaction score
The program becomes completely unresponsive, and I have to Force Quit from the dock. Its strange I am not sure why the program dies!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, what are the offending apps, and have you tried reinstalling/updating them? :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Diablo 2 (freezes when you try to connect to server)
World of Warcraft (freezes upon opening, connecting to server)
Utorrent (freezes upon startup)

I have reinstalled all of these programs, the Diablo 2 and World of warcraft Online downloader also freezes

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is your firewall running? have you got a program like little snitch running? are they blocked?

can you browse with safari okay?

C

chas_m

Well spotted, robduckyworth. I think that's the issue too.

Bolteer: thanks for the specific info, it's helpful. If you DO have the Mac software firewall on, turn it off. You don't need it, your router already has you covered.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks! Sorry but my mac firewall is turned off :) I definitely think it has something to do with my network as well, however sometimes these programs do work? oh, and I haven't got any other programs running/installed. Thanks heaps for the feedback so far :)

C

chas_m

Okay, thanks for letting us know. When you say "freeze," do you really mean "not fast enough for my impatient self?" or do you mean "I walked away for five whole minutes and it was still frozen"?

Sorry, but I've run into too many people who think 10 seconds of processing time = frozen and reboot. These are generally the same people who think any unexpected app behaviour = virus. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Chase, I mean leave over night and still not responding :) It appears the programs lock up when trying to connect to their servers..

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... im not too familiar with more complicated network problems, maybe you can help me out chas_m?

im wondering bolteer, what kind of network are you on, are you in a halls of residence or another kind of shared network? it could be that your ISP has blocked P2P network traffic.

if you cant tell, im guessing now ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Im on a private wireless network, set up for home use - in my home :) its been bugging me for sometime, because like I say sometime these programs do work. What would be causing a constant cycle which changes my settings? its weird!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right okay. i just wanted to clarify: im not calling you a pirate, but these games are legit, right?

(i only ask because you have utorrent, its not a personal judgement :))

in any case, im reckoning its a problem with your network settings or your router. i dont have too much experience with these kinds of thing (networks drive me mad) but hopefully someone will come along.

in the mean time, have a look at some of the blizzard forums.

also, have you got the error log messages we could take a look at? (when you force quit, a dialog comes up)

OP
B
Reaction score
not a pirate :) all copies are legit! I will fool around with some network settings see if I get any joy until someone who knows a fix comes along! thanks for your help Rob.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good good :) try renewing DHCP lease.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.