Wireless works out of home. Not in home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo
I've posted here before on this issue and got several helpful responses. The problem is trying to connect wirelessly on the Windows side in my home. (I'm using Bootcamp.)

I tried a bunch of things suggested on this site and then one day, when I was in Starbucks, I booted into Windows and the wireless worked. Since that time I have found that wireless works fine everywhere but where I really want it to: at home...so I can waste time playing dumb computer games!

Anyone have any idea of why this is happening? It's obviously something on my cable/wireless modem or something.

Oh, almost forgot. Sometimes it does connect and a page loads completely, but then when I try to go to another site it just gets hung up.

Thanks,

Hollyoak

Winter is Coming to HBO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Hi could you post what router you are using?

Cheers
- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Are you able to connect when not in bootcamp?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo
Simon, the router is, um...let me go look....

There is a black box that says Arris Telephony Modem, and then I have a smaller white box with an antenna thingy called Netgear Wireless cable Modem Gateway. (As you can see I am technically challenged.)

Brian, yes, when I log out of Windows and go to Mac, wireless works fine.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like this is more of a software settings issue then. The first thing that occurs to me is do you know which type of encryption your wireless network is using? We don't need the password I am thinking more of whether it is WEP, WPA, etc.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Slydude,

One the Mac side when I go to Network under System Preferences, it says WPA Personal. I looked in Windows for the tab that tells me what the encryption is but I can't find it.

Reaction score
You might try (if you know how) disabling the password protection on your wireless to start. Then see if you can connect in Windows. If you can, then try to reset the password and see what happens. For certain routers, some have reported this difficulty and it usually goes away if there's no password and the connection can often be obtained once Windows can recognize and connect to it.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any idea how to do that Sammy Slim? Would I disable it while running in Mac mode?

Reaction score
Yes, go into your router/firewall software and disable security from the Mac side (where you can get into it more easily it sounds like). Should be pretty self-evident from the settings. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.