"Airplane Mode"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Exactly what does "Airplane Mode" do. Evidently, it's not effective when you're on a commercial airplane; last week on all of my 4 flights on Delta Airlines, the flight attendant made the usual announcement about turning off cell phones and emphasized they were NOT to be in "Airplane Mode" but turned completely OFF.

I ask because the iPhone 4 takes a bit to come on once you power it up; it would be great to just put it into "Airplane Mode" if that indeed wouldn't interfere with the airplane's navigation system.

TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
United does the same thing now. I simply ignore them. They are worried about interference with the flight control systems but Airplane Mode disables the radio set in the phone that could cause interference. The FAA has concluded that other electronic devices pose no threat to the operation of the aircraft but they have yet to lift the ban. Apparently they believe, and probably rightfully so, that the hardware would become a physical safety issue were things to awry during take off or landing so the warnings appear to be more physical safety related than electrical. Making you turn it off means you are not going to use it and therefore it is less likely to be a safety hazard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I agree with baggss, I too think it is more of a physical safety more than anything. As stated "Airplane mode" turns off the radio for network connection and also turns off bluetooth and wifi.

HTH
- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They make you turn off all electronics during take off and landing, always have. When cruising you can use your iPhone in airplane mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Myth Busters have dispelled that mobile phones create any type of interference on airplanes.
It's more to get you to pay attention to their little seat-belt-safety-exit-dance. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Myth Busters have dispelled that mobile phones create any type of interference on airplanes.
It's more to get you to pay attention to their little seat-belt-safety-exit-dance. ;)

It's annoying too. You can read a magazine - but not the book on your iPad. I've even seen them walk right by someone reading a book on a Kindle - in the same seating row as me - yet only remind me - to turn the iPad off - and I'm just reading a book, same as the Kindle.

Would be nice if they'd overhaul their policies a bit to allow for e-Readers including the iPad, but of course, policy always lags - significantly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.