Batteries can not be removed!!!

Reaction score
I am considering moving from Windows to a Macbook Pro,But I want to know what happens if a Macbook Pro freezes I.E the cursor wont move,it won't switch off and it is just suck on the page.If that happens on a laptop with a removable battery I just take out the battery and there is no power so the laptop shuts down. I then restart it and it is normally OK from that point onwards(until windows decides to freeze again).A Macbook Pro does not have a removable battery! so what do you do? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This pretty much answers your question, however, Macs don't suffer this anywhere near as often as Windows machines.
More often it will be an application freeze if anything, which you can force quit several ways.

How to Force Shut Down a Macbook | eHow.com

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks.I still don't like the idea that I would not be able to physicaly denie the Macbook electricity.Apple seem to do some odd things like glossy screens and no removable batteries.To me this works against their products.I desperately want to get away from windows but struggle with some of the apple issues.I might try an older Macbook Pro so that it has a removable battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The OS and Macs are so stable that this isn't a necessary feature, where as in Windows OS and hardware compatibility, this is essential.
I have only had to perform hard shutdowns twice in the last 6yrs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks.I still don't like the idea that I would not be able to physicaly denie the Macbook electricity.Apple seem to do some odd things like glossy screens and no removable batteries.To me this works against their products.I desperately want to get away from windows but struggle with some of the apple issues.I might try an older Macbook Pro so that it has a removable battery.

Yes so many odd things that they're growing faster that any other PC manufacturer. :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have owned three different Mac laptops over the years running OS 8 or 9 and every version of OS X that's been released. Don't remember ever having to physically remove the battery because of a freeze. I have had a few freezes that require me to press and hold the power button for several seconds to take care of the problem. That hasn't been what I would call a regular occurrence though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A Macbook Pro does not have a removable battery! so what do you do? Thanks.

And to add to the other replies, the batteries which Apple say are none user removable can actually be removed. Perhaps not as easily as before but they can be removed. See this article from ifixit.

OP
K
Reaction score
Some good posts there.Thanks to all posters.I will let you know when I have bought my MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I have a removable battery in my MBP but I've never ever had a crash to bad that I had no choice but to remove it. In fact, I think just cutting off power suddenly is bad for a computer, isn't it?

All you'll need to do is hold down the power button to force a shutdown. Works every time.

Reaction score
On virtually every laptop there's no need to remove the battery to force it to turn off - just hold the power button down for 4 seconds. The same works for my MacBook Pro just as well as my Acer and HP laptop.

If holding the power button down doesn't turn it off, it's usually a hardware issue - regardless of OS.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can echo everyone else's comments. I own an imac. But same thing really. I've had 2 kernel panics in 5 years on my imac. And only they required a hard restart of the machine. The rest of the time it was plain sailing. You shouldn't need to be able to remove the battery to the MBP.

And secondly if an app crashes you can force quit it. The finder can't be quit if it crashes but it can be restart. And that is very very rare to have to do this but that fixes the issue 99.999% of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just to add my voice to the responders. We have four macs (two imacs, 2 macbooks) and two windows laptops in our house. We are forever having to remove the battery on the windows machines (a Toshiba and an HP) but NEVER on any of the macs. Simples!

Reaction score
I have owned three different Mac laptops over the years running OS 8 or 9 and every version of OS X that's been released. Don't remember ever having to physically remove the battery because of a freeze. I have had a few freezes that require me to press and hold the power button for several seconds to take care of the problem. That hasn't been what I would call a regular occurrence though.

I second this. In the past few years, I've had four Macs, and very few problems -- none of which involved getting so completely locked up that I couldn't shut down by holding the power button.

One time I dropped my Macbook Pro and screwed up the hard drive. The beauty of the Mac + Time Machine was that I went to Staples, bought a new drive, installed it, and was fully restored -- programs and all -- less than two hours after totaling the original drive. That was when my Mac "experiment" ended and I became fully committed to the platform. Had that happened on a PC laptop, I would have been down for a lot longer, and even after getting back online, it would have taken forever to get everything back the way it was.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
They are replaceable but there is no need

Just force power it down, the same as you would a windows machine except it will only rarely be necessary. The batteries are replaceable in all i products, I just put a new one in my iPod. It is an easy replacement in an iPhone as well.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well,you have all convinced me I have just bought MacBook Pro.I shall let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the informative posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I'm new to Mac, but when I used Windows I had to ctrl+alt+del/remove battery/force shutdown all the time. I haven't had to do it once with my MBP yet. And I do a lot of multitasking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've had a lot of problems lately with my Windows Bootcamp in VMWare and Norton - the power button always works to shutdown the machine. Even when Windows running full bootcamp - I can still just hit the power button to shut down the machine when it goes south.

OP
K
Reaction score
I second this. In the past few years, I've had four Macs, and very few problems -- none of which involved getting so completely locked up that I couldn't shut down by holding the power button.

One time I dropped my Macbook Pro and screwed up the hard drive. The beauty of the Mac + Time Machine was that I went to Staples, bought a new drive, installed it, and was fully restored -- programs and all -- less than two hours after totaling the original drive. That was when my Mac "experiment" ended and I became fully committed to the platform. Had that happened on a PC laptop, I would have been down for a lot longer, and even after getting back online, it would have taken forever to get everything back the way it was.

Good luck!

What is this "Time Machine" thing? Right I have done a search.It just seems the same as windows with an external hard drive to back things up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's not the same as a Restore point on Windows, if that's what you mean. Storing a backup on the hard disk is useless if the disk ever fails.

Watch this for more about Time Machine. It's really neat and the video is just a couple of minutes long. Restoring files from TM is actually kinda cool.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.