Thunderbolt to HDMI - Audio problem

Reaction score
I have the new 2011 MBP 13. I have a mini display port to hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable from the adapter to my Samsung 40" LCD.

The problem is no sound is passed threw to my tv. I had a 2009 before this which I know didn't support audio pass through, but I thought the 2010 model did and now the 2011 model doesn't? What should I try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware, the 13" MBP Thunderbolt (MDP compatible) port does not send audio out, just video. You will need an audio cable to go from the audio out|audio in port to your TV. I may be wrong about audio out from the Thunderbolt port but all I've read from Apple indicates that it's video only. (And of course data to Thunderbolt devices.)

OP
B
Reaction score
Does anyone have a 2011 model they can try?

I know it did on the 2010. This is a real bummer to not work on the 2011 model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Add to all of this.....

I just read something that may help: Check to see if the MDP to HDMI adapter you purchased supports audio. Some adapters do and some don't according to what I read. And as I said above, I'm not sure that the Thunderbolt supports audio or not, although again, Apple does not say. Since your machine is new, you have 90 days of free telephone support from Apple. Give them a call and ask. Let us know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As it happens, I've been doing some digging on this very same topic as I mistakenly bought the MDP to DVI adapter during my purchase of my '11 MBP and have been looking to exchange it.

chscag is exactly right - the adapter must support audio and not all of them do. The port is capable of piping audio through HDMI, it's just that you have to get the correct adapter.

With that said, apparently there's some ambiguity over what version of the HDMI standard each adapter and TV uses. If they don't sync up (i.e. your TV supports HDMI 1.0 and the adapter 1.4), there can be issues with that as well. It's really kind of a crap shoot.

Reaction score
In order to have audio when using HDMI-Thunderbolt, make sure to select the "HDMI speakers" from the audio output pane in system preferences>sound>output>HDMI speakers. This will allow the audio from the MBP 13" (which I too purchased last month) to go to the TV. (Now if I can get the picture to open properly I'll be all set.)

Reaction score
Thank you.

I was unable to get thunderbolt -> HDMI via a MDP adapter (non-apple) and thought I was basically SOL.. Luckily I found this post. I plugged my TV in and the HDMI out popped up in sound settings just like you said. Works great now, thanks for the post/help. :)

Reaction score
In order to have audio when using HDMI-Thunderbolt, make sure to select the "HDMI speakers" from the audio output pane in system preferences>sound>output>HDMI speakers. This will allow the audio from the MBP 13" (which I too purchased last month) to go to the TV. (Now if I can get the picture to open properly I'll be all set.)

Verified working on a Macbook Pro 13 In late 2011 model with a rocketfish thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from best buy.

Reaction score
hi. the picture on my laptop is showing fine via the thundebolt port i bought. however there is no audio and when i go to system preferences, sound etc there is no option for hdmi speakers. anyone know what to do? do i need to buy another thunderbolt port?

Reaction score
hi. the picture on my laptop is showing fine via the thundebolt port i bought. however there is no audio and when i go to system preferences, sound etc there is no option for hdmi speakers. anyone know what to do? do i need to buy another thunderbolt port?

I'm having the exact same issue. the audio out doesn't show hdmi. I would just simply run a cord through the audio out port but my tv does not have a receiver for it, nor would it let me run audio out to RCA. I have a rocketfish thunderbolt to hdmi cable from best buy that does not run audio. cna do anything i want with it visually but cannot get a thing for audio. I have done everything every forum has said and nothing works. I have a 2009 MBP w/ Mac OSX 10.6.8, but everything was just replaced by my warranty so every single thing on it other than the battery is new. Pleasee help me figure this out

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
mackenziep1

You do not have a thunderbolt (tb) port on a 2009 MBP - it would be called a mini displayport (mdp). No, tb and mdp are not synonymous.

The 2009 model MBP does not support audio out via the mdp. There was no support for audio out through the mdp in the MBP line until the mid 2010 model and newer.

If you would like to know "for sure" (assuming there are no hardware issues with your Mac) how to get your audio to the TV, please post your question in this thread .

You will need to provide your specific MBP model (screen size and CPU speed) along with your TV make and model. Without both of those items, certain suppositions will need to be made that could lead to making more expensive recommendations.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
marcmcnally

You wouldn't buy a thunderbolt "port" as the "port" is that hole on your Mac that you plug a thunderbolt cable into.

In order to provide appropriate assistance, you need to provide your Mac model and your TV make and model - please use this thread.
A link to the "specific" adapter you purchased would be of significant help also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.