Apple Mail IMAP problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I found out that my webmail supports IMAP so I configured Apple Mail to use it. I experienced these two problems:

1) After I sent my first message, Apple Mail informed me that it couldn't create a "sent" folder on the webmail server and that it would store my outgoing emails locally. Where can the problem be? My webmail works flawlessly with Thunderbird and all outgoing emails are saved to the appropriate folder on my webmail server.

2) After the first message was sent (and received by the recipient), I couldn't send any further emails using Apple Mail - the send button is now greyed out although the email is composed properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

Which web mail provider are you using?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Moved to appropriate forum.

Which web mail provider are you using?

I use a local Czech provider but it works flawlessly with Thunderbird or Outlook. I'm experiencing the problems only in Apple Mail. :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange indeed. Try removing the account from Apple mail and adding it again. You may wind up having to use POP3 instead although there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. I use both Thunderbird and Apple mail and have no problem whatsoever. But my web provider for mail is GMail.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange indeed. Try removing the account from Apple mail and adding it again. You may wind up having to use POP3 instead although there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. I use both Thunderbird and Apple mail and have no problem whatsoever. But my web provider for mail is GMail.

A strangest thing happened:

In the Apple Mail sidebar, I clicked the Sent folder icon listed under MYACCOUNTNAME and chose Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent. After that, that Sent folder moved to ON MY MAC group in the sidebar. From that point on, my outgoing emails are saved on the server. However, they don't get saved into the Sent folder in ON MY MAC. I even erased the Sent folder in ON MY MAC and sending emails is still working fine. There's no Sent folder listed now in either MYACCOUNTNAME or ON MY MAC now. Strange?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds fine to me: it's not longer using the local "sent" folder as its main "sent", so it'll just show up as a regular folder on your Mac. If you don't need it, delete it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds fine to me: it's not longer using the local "sent" folder as its main "sent", so it'll just show up as a regular folder on your Mac. If you don't need it, delete it.

OK, but how come there's no Sent folder listed under "My account name" now? The Draft, Spam and Trash folders that remain listed under it are working just fine.

Interestingly enough, I still can't create folders on the webmail using Apple Mail. Where can the problem be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do you perhaps need an IMAP path prefix? (See mail > preferences > accounts > advanced)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you perhaps need an IMAP path prefix? (See mail > preferences > accounts > advanced)

Tried to change the prefix to INBOX and the like but I lost access to all my IMAP folders after I did it. So no, the prefix is not the problem. I guess I'll have to switch to Thunderbird after all. :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.