iPod playing SOME .m4v videos, but not others?

Reaction score
All of the videos I have in iTunes are mpeg4 (.m4v).
They ALL play perfectly in iTunes.
I loaded them all on my iPod.
My iPod will only play some of them though.
I should clarify that last statement...it'll actually "play" all of them, however some of them are so scrambled / pixelated / psychedelic colors, that they are incomprehensible (visually).

What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why you are having troubles with those videos is hard to say. They may have too high a bitrate or other incompatibilities with the iPod (you didn't mention what kind/generation of iPod).

There's only one thing I can think of offhand for you to try short of re-encoding your videos, and that's to modify the H.264 Video Profile. You'll need to grab an app called Subler and open your "defective" videos in that. Then select your video track. Under the H.264 Video Profile/Level option, change it to Main @ 3.1 (for iPod touch) or Baseline @ 2.1 (for iPod Classic and the like). Once done, save the changes. Your video will not be re-encoded or lose any video data, and can be changed back just as easily. Let's see if this does the trick for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.