2 iPad 2 on same iTunes account, can we FaceTime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
So I am planning on picking up 2 iPad 2 one for me and one for the family on the east coast. It will be much easier for me to keep both on my own iTunes account...

Now my question is, having the same iTunes / email account attached to each iPad, how is that going to affect FaceTime, if at all?

Thanks!

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hrmm... the problem then is how is that going to affect the apps I will be loading for them.

To explain better... When I get their iPad2 on hand, I will load it with a whole lotta apps, on my Apple ID. So what will happen when those apps need an update or just for general use if I create another Apple ID and have them use it for FaceTime purposes?

I guess they'd have to log out from mine and log back in?

Thanks for the help!

Mina

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
One apps are installed on an iOS device they don't need the Apple ID to operate..in your case, what makes the most sense is to use iTunes to update all apps linked to your Apple ID, then sync the 2 iPads with iTunes and it will update the devices, I would imagine that using 2 different Apple ID's on the device themselves for FaceTime should be no problem..

Regards

Reaction score
You can do what you are suggesting...set 2 iPads up with 1 iTunes account. However, you will:

#1) Have to provide your family with the password so that they can update via the App Store.

#2) Not be able to sync (or backup) the family's iPad to a computer. Because if they plug it into a computer that doesn't contain your library, iTunes will basically erase that iPad (it will prompt 1st).

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true, but even when you plug to iTunes wouldn't it just log them into their account, not mine?

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jdag,

you bring up a good point. My way around this was gonna be the following:

I have an iMac in their house. I was just going to back up my library on my MacBook to my portable harddrive and copy it to my iMac over there. So when they get their iPad 2 with my account that shouldn't be an issue.

That iMac already has authorization to my account, for my little sister's perusal... yes I know, I spoil my family :-D They are awesome that way.

I guess we can always use Skype, since the iPhone app supports video now and it works great on the first gen iPad to receive video.

Thanks,

Mina

Reaction score
I guess I still don't get the quandary. You shouldn't have any problems keeping all of your apps updated on both iPads via your apple user ID. No different than having an iPod, iPad and iPhone as I do. At the same time, I assume that Facetime will work on the iPad very similarly to how it does on a Mac where you can sign into facetime with any valid apple ID in order to chat and assign an e-mail address that becomes your point of contact. So as far as I'm understanding what you are looking for and as I think facetime for iPad 2 should work, I would think you'll be okay.

Let me qualify my remarks, though, by admitting that I'm only familiar with Facetime details as far as apple's released info goes, so maybe you have some additional info that reveals facetime will be linked to the one account only. Hopefully that's not the case.

icon_smile_peace.gif

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I guess we should go back to the original question, which was:

Can 2 iPad2s with the same Apple ID FaceTime together?

I guess it would be the same with an iPhone 4 and an iPod touch FaceTime together with the same Id. But I don't know if you can do that!

Sorry for the confusion.

Mina

Reaction score

I guess it would be the same with an iPhone 4 and an iPod touch FaceTime together with the same Id. But I don't know if you can do that!

Sorry for the confusion.

Mina

IF the ipads run facetime as they do on a mac then it shouldn't matter what apple account was used to purchase the ipad so long as they both have unique e-mail addresses for facetime contacting. I have facetime installed on both macs here at the house. Both copies were purchased/downloaded from my one itunes account. I put one e-mail address under the facetime preferences for contacting and a DIFFERENT e-mail address in facetime on the other mac. They communicate great.

What I'm sure you CAN'T do is set up both facetime accounts with the same e-mail. It would be like having two phones with the same number; one won't be able to call the other.

Is your separation on opposite coasts a long-term arrangement? If so, have you considered how you will keep both iPads updated via itunes if it is set up on your mac in CA? I could see potential problems there if that's the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

No they cant.

As long as both iPads are authorised to the same iTunes account, all you need to do is get them to sign up there FaceTime App to a different email Address as to the one you will sign up to FaceTime with.

I have 2 iPod Touches Different Gens linked to my iTunes Acct but FaceTime as well.
My little boy is too young for a email but i got him one so he can FT with me . . . .

I presume it is the same for iPads. I cant see why . . .

Cheers

EDIT : As Above lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
So your saying I can use my wife's BlackBerry e-mail address to set up a second FT account???

Does it matter that it may not actually work since I'm about to pull the plug on my BB Storm and get new iPhone's.

Tom

C

chas_m

No.

An iPhone and an iPad with the same Apple ID *can* Facetime -- because the iPad can call the iPhone's *phone number* (as it's "Facetime ID") rather than the AppleID email address (which is the iPad's "FaceTime ID").

Reaction score
Dueling iPad2s

Ok, my wife and I have I Pad2s. I have two email addresses registered under my Apple ID: my wife uses one address for FaceTime, I use the other.

She can call me on FaceTime, no issues. I try calling her, I get message saying she's unavailable. Major pain. Any ideas would be most welcome!!

Reaction score
Ipad to Ipad or Ipad to Mac facetime

I have a mac, iphone, and ipad2-- all on the same iTunes account.

Solved my FaceTime issues and now I can connect/FaceTime between Mac and iPad.

On iPad: Go to <Settings> and then select <FaceTime>
On Mac: click on FaceTime Preference
You need to have different emails under the "You can be reached for video calls at:"

If you have 2 iPads-- Add another email account to one of them.
If you have a Mac- add the other email to the Mac FaceTime.

Once the newly added email is verified, then touch/select the first and select <remove this email>.
When I left both- it kept attempting and failing to connect.

Now the devices have different emails for FaceTime. Now they can connect.

Reaction score
SCRick Is Correct

Two FaceTime capable devices (iPad2's or MAC computers) sharing a single Apple ID can FaceTime with each other. Here is an example of how to set-up FaceTime on each device:

---------------Device One ----------------------------------------------------------Device Two
Contact Used For FaceTime---Wife's Email-----Contact Used For FaceTime---Husbands Email
With The Rest Of The World--------------------------With The Rest Of The World

Can Also Be Contacted At----Email Acct#3-----Can Also Be Contacted At------Email Acct#4
For Video Chat---------------------------------------------For Video Chat

So, set-up Email Accts #3 and #4 if needed; Add them to FaceTime set-ups on each device as above; Apple will ask you to verify #3 and #4 as you add them.
Careful Now! On Device One add Email#4 (yes, 4) as a FaceTime Contact. On Device Two add Email#3 as a FaceTime Contact. Device One uses the Email#4 Contact to initiate FaceTime with Device Two. Device Two uses Email#3 Contact to initiate FaceTime with Device One.

Have at it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.