Apple tv2 interfering with my imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I bought the ATV2 for viewing internet video (Netflix), but when I use the remote it keeps turning on my iTunes and playing music and flashing my images on the screen. What do I have to do to keep it from interfering with my iMac? Not everyone wants to use the ATV to play iTunes. Has anyone put black tape over the remote eye on the iMac to stop this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Heh, yeah, all of Apples products use the same code so all remotes work on everything. I have my old iphone sitting on my TV stand as an iPod and when I use my ATV 2 the iPhone comes on and starts to play music. Since it's in dock and connected to the stereo I don't here the music so it doesn't bother me.

Not sure what to tell you. Moving the two apart would work but that might no jive with your situation. The tape idea might work the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't have my MBP in front of me, but I think you can turn this off in Security settings. You can also pair a machine to a different Apple remote so it will ignore the one you use with you Apple TV.

Or you can just train your Apple TV to use a different remote. That can be dine via the AppleTV settings.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been trying to figure out where the remote eye is on my iMac, but no luck yet. Maybe I'll have to sell Apple my new invention to stop remote interference with other Apple products. It makes the remote directional. I wonder if Steve Jobs will pay me for this idea.....The toilet paper roller is recycleable
photoon20110306at12142.jpg
able too......LOL

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, I was just trying to be funny......I did disable the remote eye and it worked awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you can just train your Apple TV to use a different remote. That can be dine via the AppleTV settings.

Yes, but the old remotes still work too. Lately I've discovered that the new Apple remotes as well as the one from my Wife's C2D iMac, my new iMac and my old ATV 1 all work by default on my ATV 2. I don't think there are separate codes for devices, at least not that I can tell. I also know my new remote for my ATV 2 works on my wife's C2D iMac just fine as well as all of the iPod docks I have that are capable. I haven't had a chance to try on my iMac yet.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only reason I found out they're on the same code is because my iMac and my ATV are in the same room. I wonder if there's a way to set your own code on each device or remote. I know I'm not the only one that has asked this question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only reason I found out they're on the same code is because my iMac and my ATV are in the same room. I wonder if there's a way to set your own code on each device or remote. I know I'm not the only one that has asked this question.

That's essentially what pairing your machine with a remote does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's essentially what pairing your machine with a remote does.

I've "paired" my older remotes with my ATV but they still control other Apple devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're looking at it backwards. The pairing locks the machine, not the remote. Your remote doesn't get reprogrammed in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're looking at it backwards. The pairing locks the machine, not the remote. Your remote doesn't get reprogrammed in the process.

Problem is even when I've paired a remote to the ATV 2, other remotes (that have not been paired) will still control it. So while just should lock it, it doesn't appear to actually do so. I guess the OP needs to pair his iMac and ATV to a different remotes and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
All my devices have the little Apple white remotes and the only way I found to keep them
from interfering with each other is to pair each remote with each device then use a sharpie and put the initial of each piece on each remote.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds like a good idea to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.