• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sound on Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Hi all, I don't know where else to turn with myWindows XP related question, I accidentally deleted my sound driver, and now my sound doesnt work, but Windows still thinks that my driver is there and so I cant update it, and I don't know how to update it off the web. Please help me I'm very sad and I need sound! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
go to the brand of the sound cards website... look for a download section and download the driver for your card.... you can also erase the driver completly (in the hardware profile) so that windows thinks its gone aswell.. then try to run add new hardware wizard and have it search for the drivers on the internet..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you deleted the driver then just remove the sound card in device manager.

i doubt that you actually deleted the driver in the system32 folder so just delete it from device manager and reboot

if not then you may need
www.driverguide.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
What inflexion said.

Go to Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Device Manager and look under Sound Controllers for the device.

Delete the device, then immediately reboot. (I prefer to shut all the way down and start up again.) When XP comes back up, it will reinstall the drivers.

I have to do this a couple times a year when my PC whacks out like that. Another reason I'm glad to be on a Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.