Making an iPad app for personal use

Reaction score
Hiya,

So I wanted to create an app for my iPad for personal use, I don't plan on selling it. Is it really necessary for me to join the standard apple developer program (99 dollars/year) so I can actually put it on my iPad and use it? Because paying 99 dollars a year for me to use a personal app seems kinda expensive..

And btw I don't really plan on making other apps, the reason I wanted to make the iPad app is for my parents' restaurant.

Also, I don't have any experience with any of the apple programming things..

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Another user just let me know that XCode4 is available in the Mac App Store for $4.99, although he warned that it's a little more prone to bugs and such... That might be a low-cost suggestion and it certainly is better than paying a hundred bucks, huh?

OP
Reaction score
Another user just let me know that XCode4 is available in the Mac App Store for $4.99, although he warned that it's a little more prone to bugs and such... That might be a low-cost suggestion and it certainly is better than paying a hundred bucks, huh?

I think when you register as an apple developer (free) you can download Xcode 3 as well, but from what I see on the website, it doesn't let me actually test the app on a physical ipad/iphone.
But I don't know if using Xcode 4 would be different (I'm totally new to this stuff), if it would be different, it would be indeed better to just pay 5 dollars instead of 100 dollars a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The $5 download doesn't allow you to provision your own device to run your apps on it, so you'll still need to enroll in the developer program to do that.

My advice: spend the $5 and see how far you get with the simulator and learning the ropes. Once you feel more up-to-speed and have a working app, then spend the $99 so you can actually try it on a real device.

OP
Reaction score
The $5 download doesn't allow you to provision your own device to run your apps on it, so you'll still need to enroll in the developer program to do that.

My advice: spend the $5 and see how far you get with the simulator and learning the ropes. Once you feel more up-to-speed and have a working app, then spend the $99 so you can actually try it on a real device.

Thanks for the advice.
Though I'm wondering whether Xcode 3 and Xcode 4 have that much differences. I'm registered as an Apple developer so I can get Xcode 3. If it really isn't that much of a difference, then I would probably try using Xcode3 and the simulator first (since I'm actually new to almost everything) and when things are going better, I'll enroll in some program and get Xcode 4 with it.

So, any big differences between Xcode 3 and 4?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The UI has been completely overhauled and Interface Builder is now integrated into Xcode.

But if you're just getting started, Xcode 3 will be fine. Now don't agonize over $5 for another weekend and hit some iOS tutorials and teach yourself Objective-C instead! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
not to hijack, but I too am interested in app building and would be using it for personal as well as possibly for in-house at my hospital. However, I'm a nurse... I've never written a line of code in my life. If I get the current gen X Code, is it possible to create apps in this fashion? Or do I have have to learn all the programming basics first. If the latter, I honestly don't have time between job and 3 children... :(

MacDad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will have to know Objective-C to write an app. Whilst xcode does allow you to put together buttons and controls in a visual manner, without knowing how to program, they can't actually do anything until you add some code to them.

Having said that: take an hour a week and follow some of the tutorials on the web. It'll take you a while, but nowadays learning new skills while you work is sort of mandatory for most jobs. This is probably outside of the scope of your line of work, but I'd say make the time if you really want to learn it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, you're going to have to write code. You would be better finding an app on the App Store that meets your needs.

EDIT: Evidently I don't type fast enough ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
understood, thank you ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.