What Video is sent to TV with Composite AV adapter?

Reaction score
Hi, hope this doesn't sound like an odd question, but exactly what is sent out to the TV with one of those Apple Composite AV adapters?

What I mean is, if I want to play video from the upcoming BBC iPlayer app, would that be sent out to the screen?

Likewise, if I just play video from a streaming website (I guess a non Flash one) would that also be sent out?

Do other third party apps work with this as well? I have AirVideo which streams from my Mac, would that be sent to the TV?

Finally, is there any way to control the iPhone from the sofa (pause/start etc) as I am guessing the Apple remote will not work.

What are the restrictions with this device?

OP
O
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the composite out from the iPhone and can confirm if third party video apps work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Third-party apps need to enable TV-out so it's on a per-app basis. You'd need to check the app store for each app.

Not tried AirVideo but StreamToMe (same idea - a server on your Mac and receiving app on your phone) works fine.

The iPlayer app on the iPad works fine with TV Out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.