Questions re: Powerbook G3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12in 1Ghz Powerbook G4
My 87 yr old mom has begun to play solitaire on a PC. She wants to email. I got my neice to give Gram her 1998 (fall) Powerbook G3. It has 192 megs of ram and is thus maxed out. It has a 3 Gig hard drive, runs OS 9.2. I picked up a functioning Style Writer from 1992.

What would be the best way for her to access the web and email? Is there a more text based web interface that would need less memory? I can't load the printer driver, says it needs OS 6. Are there ways to enlarge ALL the fonts as she has very poor eyesight.

The machine itself runs like a top. I can't help but think it should serve her. She is willing to keep at it. Any ideas as to how to make Gram and the computer work well together?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your system has a wthernet port you should be able to get it on the net. As for a browser, you should be able to get netscape 4.77. netscape 4.77 does have a mail function, if I remember correctly. I am not sure which control panel options to use, but you can enlarge the fonts as you asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The actual max on the RAM is 512 MB, I had a Wallstreet as well, and I just got RAM from www.newegg.com at the time.
Though, for her needs that might just be overkill. :black:

B

Badger

For the internet, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are still available even though MS no longer supports them. While both Netscape and IE have their advantages I've found that IE is more stable so it may be a better choice under the circumstances. OE is a basic mail program but it functions well.
As for the vision issue; Apple has a control panel that magnifies the screen up to 16x. It's called CloseView and is in the Universal Access folder on the OS 9 installer disc. I believe it's also available from the Apple download site: www.apple.com. Also, Apple lists the StyleWriter 1500 as the driver to use for the StyleWriter I and II with a PPC and OS9. It is also on the OS9 installer or you can get it from the same site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Go with Netscape 4.7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.