Mac Mail deleted all old messages in all boxes.

Reaction score
Help! My Mail 3.6 deleted all messages (there were hundreds) dated before June, 2009. Dunno when it happened. Discovered it today. My Time Machine backups also have no messages before that date! Anyone know what happened?

It's possible, just possible, that the date of message disappearance coincides with the date I began using Time Machine.

Reaction score
Don't panic, it's unlikely that all of your old mail is gone for good.

As of OS X 10.4, Mail stopped storing old e-mail messages in a single large database. (Your version of Mail, thankfully, is newer than the 10.4 version.) Mail now stores old messages as individual Finder-readable files. So, even if Mail has a corrupted database, since none of your old messages are actually stored within that database, they should all still be untouched and safe on your hard drive.

Go to:
[hard drive icon]/Users folder/[your user name]/Library/Mail folder/

...there you should see (among other things) folders for every e-mail address that you use as an account with Mail, and a folder that is named Mailboxes.

In the folder with your e-mail address on it, you should find a folder called INBOX.mbox, and inside that folder you should find a folder called Messages. Inside the Messages folder you should (hopefully) find a bunch of files. You should be able to drag each file onto TextEdit and the file should open. These files are your individual old mail messages. If they are in the Messages folder, they aren't gone.

In the Mailboxes folder you should find folders for each of your mailboxes, and within those folders files for each of the messages stored within.

Do all of your old e-mail messages still exist on your hard drive? If so, and if they are all still in their proper places with their proper names, all that might be necessary is for you to delete Mail's locate database, which will cause a new fresh database to be automatically created. You can do this using:

SpeedMail (free)
1802 SpeedMail

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
R
Reaction score
Randy,

Many thanks. I'll give that a try later today. Is that a topic covered by your Mac Bible?

Reybo in Charlottesvville

Reaction score
Randy,

Many thanks. I'll give that a try later today. Is that a topic covered by your Mac Bible?

While at one time The Macintosh Bible was the world's best selling book about the Macintosh, it has been out of print for years now.

If you want an excellent book to help you learn about your Mac, I highly recommend:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (about $23)

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596153281): David Pogue: Books

Or, if you would prefer, there are some excellent inexpensive online video courses. I like courses from either of these:

Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more
search results | lynda.com
$25 per month for 24/7 unlimited access to their entire library of tutorials

Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com
Apple Tutorials
$30 per month for 24/7 unlimited access to their entire library of tutorials

Randy B. Singer

OP
R
Reaction score
If you want an excellent book to help you learn about your Mac, I highly recommend: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (about $23)

It's time to update my Missing Manual. My copy covers Jaguar 10.2. Time to find the copy through 10.5.8.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's time to update my Missing Manual. My copy covers Jaguar 10.2. Time to find the copy through 10.5.8.

Re-visited. Getting a useful manual is not so easy. Reading 50 or so reviews on Amazon makes me wonder if any of them covers how to fix things when they break, such as the Mail problem that brought me here.

As a user of Leopard who will not be updating to Snow, I'm more inclined to buy the Leopard Bible than the Leopard Missing Manual, based on the reviews.

Do you (or does anyone) have advice on which OS X 10.5 manual is most designed to help when things go wrong? I don't need a book that does little more than reproduce the Help files and screens Apple includes in OS X. I can read. I don't need a repeat of what Apple already said. I had my fill of those manuals with Gates's operating systems.

Back when B&N kept in stock every Windows manual published, I spent more than 3 hours comparing WIN NT manuals to see which was best at covering problems. These manuals were priced from $50 to $150. Answer: none. They were ALL mere reprints of what Microsoft published within the OS itself, the very Help screens found useless by Windows users.

Microsoft's approach to Help was perfectly skewered by the anecdote of the lost helicopter pilot. He was hovering in the air outside Microsoft headquarters, and used his PA system to blast out the question, "WHERE AM I?"

The chief of Microsoft's department responsible for designing HELP files quickly prepared a sign and put it in the window. It said: "You're in a helicopter."

Useful HELP writing requires both art and refinement. In my experience, IBM specialized in it, while MS and Apple have no clue. That's why these forums and folks like you are so vital.

Today Apple's PC problem is an operating system so convoluted that it works as designed rather than as intended. The company's programmers are assigned to projects other than computers, because Apple has moved on.

Couple that with Apple's lifetime company culture we are all familiar with: incorporating arbitrary software changes imposed from the top down while ignoring the impact of change on users, and that brings us to today.

Software breaks and Apple won't bother to fix it, or can't, such as Apple's stock market widget. And 3rd party replacements are often as bad or worse, though I don't know why.

I had 20 years experience working with freeware and shareware programmers (ran Freeware Hall of Fame) and never saw anything like this. The last two -recommended- 3rd party programs I downloaded simply didn't work despite claiming to be be written for Leopard.

Oh, well. If anyone has a recommendation of the best manual to keep OS X 10.5 humming and fix it when it breaks, please pass it on.

Reaction score
Do you (or does anyone) have advice on which OS X 10.5 manual is most designed to help when things go wrong?

I've never looked at it myself, but you may want to check out:

Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.6: A Guide to Supporting and Troubleshooting Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Amazon.com: Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.6: A Guide to Supporting and Troubleshooting Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (9780321635341): Kevin M. White: Books

Randy B. Singer

OP
R
Reaction score

Been exploring this site. You and it are a gem. I have an older desktop slowly running 10.4, the latest OS it can handle. The older it gets, the slower it runs. This site offers many possibilities to fix that.

As a rule, I run Repair Disk Permissions after every software update and after every new app install. Typically there are between one and 5 permissions needing repair, commonly the same ones, as you know.

But a few years ago after running the last (or second-to-last?) Microsoft update to the Explorer browser for Mac, more than 1000 permissions were corrected!

Maybe it didn't matter, but I was happy that no software ran between installing the update and repairing permissions.

Reaction score
Been exploring this site. You and it are a gem.
That is very kind of you to say! Thanks!

I have an older desktop slowly running 10.4, the latest OS it can handle. The older it gets, the slower it runs. This site offers many possibilities to fix that.
Please let us know if things are back to normal after you have run all of the appropriate routine maintenance. If they aren't, I may have some further suggestions.

As a rule, I run Repair Disk Permissions after every software update and after every new app install.
Whether or not running Repair Permissions does much of anything is controversial. There are those who would vehemently argue that it doesn't help anything. However, it is quite clear to me that it does. Especially with Microsoft products.

Randy B. Singer

OP
R
Reaction score
Please let us know if things are back to normal after you have run all of the appropriate routine maintenance. If they aren't, I may have some further suggestions.

Used the cache cleaner to dump all the user and system caches, and PM checked and reported all the plists were OK. The 60gb drive has 28gb free, so I'm not inclined to defrag or re-organize.

This 800 MHz PowerPC G4 has 768k SDRAM. I ran the software that checks if more RAM is needed and after loading more apps than I'm likely to in the real world, still had ample RAM available.

Alas, it's still slow to finish booting, (90 seconds,) slow to load iPhoto (to be fair, there are 1200+ pix) and still slow to load Safari. It's the Safari lag that's the biggest change from when it was new.

Where once the browser jumped promptly to the screen, now the dock icon plays jumping bean for 12 seconds before the app appears, and another 8 seconds to show the home page. Only about 2 seconds of that is net lag, thanks to high speed cable modem.

I might try deleting the browser history and zipping up the cookie file to see if that helps. But they aren't huge. Hard to imagine they are causing the Safari load lag.

Reaction score
I might try deleting the browser history and zipping up the cookie file to see if that helps. But they aren't huge. Hard to imagine they are causing the Safari load lag.

Go through all the suggestions and links on my Web page (Item #9) and try as many of the suggestions as make sense, or which are easy to do. It would be interesting to see if you can get Safari back to normal. If you can, then it is unlikely that your problems are systemic to your entire computer. If you can't, then we have to consider what may be causing an overall slowdown.

Also, download the free demo of iDefrag and use it, not to defragment anything (which the demo can't do in any meaningful way anyhow), but to see how fragmented your hard drive is. I've seen instances where a user's hard drive was only about 60% full, but the drive was ridiculously fragmented and there were virtually no large chunks of contiguous hard drive space left. (I believe this was because he often created lots of new small files, and deleted lots of old files.) Defragmenting his hard drive made a huge difference in performance and in boot up time.

Randy B. Singer

OP
R
Reaction score
For a quickie, I reset Safari painlessly, dumping the unnecessary but keeping cookies, keychain, etc. That cut Safari loading time in half, a dramatic improvement. I'll get to the rest of the actions later.

Since this iMax sleeps most nights, I used MacJanitor yesterday to run all maintenance scripts. Couldn't tell the difference.

OP
R
Reaction score
Also, download the free demo of iDefrag and use it, not to defragment anything (which the demo can't do in any meaningful way anyhow), but to see how fragmented your hard drive is.

Did that Friday night. iDefrag showed plenty of huge gaps for data. Don't think bad fragmentation is the problem.

One thing happened from the land of Oops! iDefrag offered something called "Verify" so I ran that. It went into Initializing mode and stayed there. After 5 minutes of the spinning horizontal barber pole, I tried Force Quit. Nada. FG didn't even open the window showing running programs. I had to hit the kill switch to get out.

It all came back up but Safari refused to connect with the home page. I loaded Firefox which connected right away, so it looks like a Safari glitch. I rebooted and all came back to normal.

Rebooting takes 70 seconds now, about 20 seconds faster than before. Safari still takes 20 seconds to load even after all that cache clearing. It does look like the systems has a general slowdown.

On another issue, is there any way on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.8 to display text like these forum messages in black rather than gray? Everywhere I look on web sites like this is gray text on white background rather than black on white. My old eyes need more contrast than I'm getting.

Reaction score
On another issue, is there any way on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.8 to display text like these forum messages in black rather than gray? Everywhere I look on web sites like this is gray text on white background rather than black on white. My old eyes need more contrast than I'm getting.

It's funny that you mention that. I had never noticed it before, but all the text in this forum is gray on my screen too.

You can change the contrast, but from my experimentation the results are not entirely pleasing.

Go into:
System Preferences/Universal Access
and check Enable Access for Assistive Devices.

Now in that window you can control screen contrast. Unfortunately, adding more than just a tiny touch of extra contrast tends to wash text out and distort graphics. But it may be different on your monitor.

Randy B. Singer

Reaction score
Here's what will work!

Go into System Preferences/Displays/Display tab

and adjust the Brightness slider.

That should do it!

Randy B. Singer

OP
R
Reaction score
Here's what will work!

Go into System Preferences/Displays/Display tab

and adjust the Brightness slider.

That should do it!

It was already on max brightness. Funny that the screen I am typing on now to enter this message is black on white, but when the message is saved, it's gray. That suggests a programmer determined the color choice.

Things like that happen frequently. Recall in the late 90s when web designers thought it was a terrific idea to choose cobalt blue for background and black for text. This made their pages largely unreadable but they didn't seem to mind.

I just changed the display from 1440-900 to 1024-768 stretched which should help tired old eyes. Dam, the older we get, the farther we are dragged from perfection.

OP
R
Reaction score
Don't panic, it's unlikely that all of your old mail is gone for good.

Randy,

Finally got around to following this advice, and the Messages file was empty! So at some point Mail ate several years worth of messages, all the folders as of the same date.

I haven't researched this, but it would not surprise me if the earliest date of the mail archived here coincides with the date I installed one of the OS or Mail updates. One or the other installs may have been a mail gobbler.

So even my extra care of re-booting immediately before downloading and installing Apple software didn't save me from disaster.

And the reason my backups don't have the old messages is because I didn't begin using Time Machine until 5 months after the message base got et.

C'est la vie. Appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Finally got around to following this advice, and the Messages file was empty!

Bummer! :Grimmace:

So at some point Mail ate several years worth of messages,

Technically, I don't think that Mail itself ate your archived e-mails. Mail is one of the safest e-mail programs out there. So I wouldn't lose faith in the program.

But there is no doubt that you are now the poster child for backing up. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.