• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast 6 Reports -- Result Code = -18771 (problem with source material)

M

mykel242

"Could not record the disc because there is a problem with the source material. Result Code = -18771"

Anyone seen this -- I got it trying to Burn a DVD from a working VIDEO_TS folder. I've watched this whole video using the Apple DVD Player pointed at the folder.... but Toast gacks on it... Is this Copy protection? I own the original DVD.

-- elf --

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 1.25 GHz Dual, 1Gig of Ram, Super Drive, Combo Drive, 20" flat panel
I have been getting that message too. I would get that message after following the steps in the DVD Tutorial on this site. Is it a bug in version 6 or just a problem with another program? What OS are you running? I am in 10.2.8.

Ashley760

OP
D

djaf

Hello,

I get exactly the same error
Result Code = -18771 (problem with source material),
while trying to burn a DVD, in PAL, from working (tested with Apple DVD Player) VIDEO_TS folder,
using Roxio Toast Titanium v. 6.0.3 under Mac O.S.X 10.2.8 on a powerbook3,5 (v. =3.2) (cpu: G4 1GHz) with an ATA CD-RW/DVD-R, MATSHITA, DVD-R UJ-815.

>Is this Copy protection?

I don't know, but I'm living in europe and i know here as It is allow to backup DVD you own, it's forbiden to sel copy protected DVD.

But don't take it as guarantee, the fact that '"they can't sell it", obviously do not mean that "they don't sell it."

On my case this is the first time, I try to copy a dvd.
What about you? Did you get the same problem with several different DVDs? Or, with other dvd, does it ussualy work?

By the way, I've seen your messages were posted on the end of october, did your investigations paid since that time? Do you know more about it right now?

I'll like to learn more about it.

thank you

djaf

OP
M

mykel242

It was the first DVD I ever tried to backup. I haven't tried again on other DVDs and I tried to hunt down info using google but to no avail. I'll try some other DVDs this weekend and see if I get similar results and post the results here.

--Mykel--

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.