After screensaver, all windows jump to main monitor

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro connected to an external Samsung SyncMaster T260 monitor through HDML. I also have a PC attached to the same monitor via DVI - not sure if it matters.

When I come back to my computer after some time and touch the keyboard/mouse, both screens come back up. I log in. At this point all windows that were previously located on the external monitor jump to the main screen.

At this point I have to grab those windows and move back to the external monitor.

It's more of an inconvenience, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve it.

Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
to me, it sounds like either your screen goes to sleep, your mac doesnt see it anymore, and so moves the windows back, or your cable is faulty. one of the two, dunno how to fix it but thats my guess.

do you turn your other display off?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thx for the reply. I keep my screen on, though it does go to sleep when MacBook does. Then there is a slight delay when the screen comes back and it does feel like Mac looses the screen and then recognizes it as being attached one again

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried turning the screen off, then turning it on before waking your macbook?

OP
D
Reaction score
robduckyworth: Yep, that works.
I poked around the settings on the monitor itself, tried disabling "Auto Source" but it still didn't help. Yours might be the only workaround. Oh well.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay cool, as long as its sorted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.