Refurb original iPad

Reaction score
Hi,
I held out buying an iPad originally as I thought I had no need for one, this changed when I tried one out at the Apple Store where I live! However, I couldn't help feeling that the iPad 2 might introduce a few things extra, so instead I waited and bought an iPhone 4 when it came out. I followed the iPad 2 keynote this week, and while I do think that it is great, I don't like the back of it very much, I much preferred the original iPad's look. Also the lack of a retina display on the iPad 2 disappointed me. So I went on the Apple online store the day after the announcement, and lo and behold, the original iPad was reduced by £100, even better, they had refurbished ones which reduced by another £50 or so, so I decided to take the plunge, and I ordered a 32GB one on thursday night, unfortunately it wont be here till monday as apparently UPS dont deliver on saturdays! Anyway I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good cases as I am looking for something to protect it. I might also buy a Zagg Invisible shield as I have one for my iphone 4 and it has been very good at protecting it. Also, if anyone has any experience with refurb iPads, if they have had any problems?
Thanks! sorry if it's dragged on a bit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Sometimes good things do come to those who wait!

Actually, I have the genuine Apple case for mine and am quite happy with it. Mine doesn't get knocked around so I didn't need anything too robust in terms of protection. Your choice of case is really going to depend on how and where you use your iPad.

I also have the Zagg Invisible Shield on mine. Consider it cheap insurance!

Reaction score
I got this case, as it seemed to be the best tradeoff in features, protection, quality, looks and price:

Marware Eco-Vue
Eco-Vue iPad Case

Here it is for only £19.99:
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Marware Eco-vue for iPad - Black

When this case first came out, it got really good reviews, but later the reviews said that it fell apart in a short time. However, if you read even later reviews you will find that Marware replaced the defective cases, and that later cases have held up really well. (As has mine.)

All of the product descriptions say that this case is made out of real leather. I'm not sure that I believe that, but the case does look and feel really nice.

If you need a stylus for taking notes, there are a bunch of them on the market, and just about all of them are garbage. I asked a company that offers handwriting recognition software for the iPad which is the best stylus (as it makes sense that they would have tested them all to see which worked best with their software) and this is the one that they have recommended:

Just Mobile AluPen
Just Mobile Xtand - Stand for iPhone / iPod touch / MacBook

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For myself, the Apple case is the best for the 1st gen. Thin and light weight, not adding too much bulk to it.

I also have the Eco-Vue Randy linked to above. It is a very nice case, but just added too much bulk to it for my taste. Used it for less than 2 days and it went back into the box. If I had some reason to carry my iPad out of the house on any sort of regular basis, I'd probably use it for the additional protection it offers.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Also what do you think of Apples own dock and dock keyboard? Do you think apple will reduce the price on it now when they bring out the iPad 2 next week?

Reaction score
If you have a case for your iPad, you already have a stand that will hold your iPad up while you use a keyboard to type.

You can use any Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad. Personally I prefer a more traditional keyboard with a better feel than one of Apple's chicklet keyboards, such as:

Apple Wireless Keyboard
$58
Apple Wireless Keyboard - No Box | PowerMax

Some users have pointed out this interesting tiny keyboard:
WIRELESS MINI KEYBOARD - Electronix Online - Computer and Electronic Parts and Supplies

These are also very portable:

Foldable Portable Wireless Bluetooth iPad Keyboard

Mini Bluetooth Computer Keyboard

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.