Best software for sharing media to XBox360 / PS3 / Windows computers?

Reaction score
Hey

I've just moved over to using my Macbook instead of my dying Windows 7 desktop for everything - including media streaming.

I previously used network share to share movies/music with my XBox 360 and Homegroup to let my sister stream movies from my computer.

What software will allow me to stream both movies and music to my XBox 360, PS3 and Windows computers on my network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
A
Reaction score
Well I've gone for Playback, as it dominates the reviews.

So far, it streams to my PS3 brilliantly. I will have to find out tomorrow if it can stream to a Windows 7 PC!

Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Actually, could I just download iTunes onto our Windows computers to stream music and movies from my iTunes on my Macbook?

Reaction score
Well I've gone for Playback, as it dominates the reviews.

So far, it streams to my PS3 brilliantly. I will have to find out tomorrow if it can stream to a Windows 7 PC!

Thanks!

Hey alex, do you notice any lags during streaming to your PS3?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Actually, could I just download iTunes onto our Windows computers to stream music and movies from my iTunes on my Macbook?

That should work, give it try!

OP
A
Reaction score
Howieh, no I don't, it's all great - but then again everything in my bedroom is connected via cat5/6 to a Netgear Gigabit 8-port switch! This, in turn, is connected via cat 5 to a Linksys Wireless-N router in our hallway - so all cables for me!

McYukon, I will give it a go tomorrow. Playback is an awesome app for streaming to my PS3 and 360, but my younger sister likes watching movies from my hard-drive on her Windows 7 laptop, so I'll try this out with iTunes..

I am planning to invest in a 2Tb NAS hard drive soon, to plug into the hallway for all our media. It's frustrating that none seem to be universally applauded; but the Buffalo ones seem to be better regarded than most.

Reaction score
Howieh, no I don't, it's all great - but then again everything in my bedroom is connected via cat5/6 to a Netgear Gigabit 8-port switch! This, in turn, is connected via cat 5 to a Linksys Wireless-N router in our hallway - so all cables for me!

McYukon, I will give it a go tomorrow. Playback is an awesome app for streaming to my PS3 and 360, but my younger sister likes watching movies from my hard-drive on her Windows 7 laptop, so I'll try this out with iTunes..

I am planning to invest in a 2Tb NAS hard drive soon, to plug into the hallway for all our media. It's frustrating that none seem to be universally applauded; but the Buffalo ones seem to be better regarded than most.

That sounds like a really strong setup!
All I have is my MacBook Pro connected to a Dlink 615 wireless router which is in turn connected wirelessly to the PS3.
Have you ever tested how it is speed wise with all wireless?

OP
A
Reaction score
It's simply great in my room; use this highly-rated badboy: Netgear GS608 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I have a desktop (soon to be replaced with an iMac); Macbook; Two XBoxes and PS3 all cabled together - with two spare ethernet slots to go!

I haven't tried wireless at all actually; and couldn't really - as my Netgear switch is ethernet. Wireless is something I only use for casual web browsing..

When we move house this year, I'm planning to drill/run ethernet cables from the hallway to our cinema/computer room and my bedroom (at the least), with one of those Netgear switches in both rooms. Wireless will be for laptops - and no more!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.