Email setup question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
So I was on craigslist and I tired to respond to an ad via email. Now, on my windows it would just bring the new email section up, you type the email and click send and your done. But, on my imac I went to respond it came up and said you will be guided through the necessary steps to setup your email account. Then it says at the top account type and there are mac, pop, imap, and exchange types. Now I have no idea of what to put that as. Which do I need to setup my email? Just for reference my emails that I use are hotmail and aol.

-Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You need to find out what type of accounts your Hotmail and AOL accounts are. POP or IMAP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's because the first time you use Mail you have to set it up. It isn't an e-mail provider like hotmail or gmail. It's a way to use hotmail or gmail (even more than one address and provider) without going to a web page. All within an easy-to-use app.
I haven't used AOL with Mail, but for hotmail, it's POP. The incoming mail server should be pop3.live.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
For your Hotmail account use these settings,

Type: POP
Server Name: pop3.live.com
User Name: Your FULL email address
Port: 995
Use secure connection: SSL
Use secure authentication: leave unchecked

If you want to use their SMTP server use the settings below
Server Name: smtp.live.com
Port: 25 or Port 587 if 25 doesn't work
Use name and password: Check it
Username: Your FULL email address
Use secure connection: TLS

For AOL have a look here. That's an IMAP account btw

Apple mail should guide you through the set up so you need to put these settings in as required.

I haven't actually set up a hotmail or AOL account but apparently these are the settings.

Let us know if it works!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.