'Hidden files' not showing

Reaction score
I wanted to copy my fairly extensive music collection to the hdd on my PVR. The best way to do this was using USB stick.

I duly copied itunes media/music folders to a couple of sticks by dragging and dropping.

When I attempted to copy from USB to PVR it failed. I sussed this to be some files that the PVR showed as starting with ._ Once these were deleted it copied ok, but to do this using the PVR OS would take forever.

I set Finder up to show hidden files but even then these files don't show in Finder :eek: either on the stick or in the itunes media/music folders.

I copied the same folders to my Ubuntu box and this shows the files too.

(I'm using:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

to set Finder to show hidden files)

So my query is, can I get my Mac to show these files in Finder?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I wanted to copy my fairly extensive music collection to the hdd on my PVR. The best way to do this was using USB stick.

I duly copied itunes media/music folders to a couple of sticks by dragging and dropping.

When I attempted to copy from USB to PVR it failed. I sussed this to be some files that the PVR showed as starting with ._ Once these were deleted it copied ok, but to do this using the PVR OS would take forever.

I set Finder up to show hidden files but even then these files don't show in Finder :eek: either on the stick or in the itunes media/music folders.

I copied the same folders to my Ubuntu box and this shows the files too.

(I'm using:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

to set Finder to show hidden files)

So my query is, can I get my Mac to show these files in Finder?

Those ._ files are resource forks called "AppleDouble" that OS X creates on drives formatted using non-native Mac OS X file systems. I do know of one utility that will block the creation of them, called BlueHarvest.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hidden Cleaner looks like just the ticket you're looking for.

Just another alternative - I use muCommander when I need to look at hidden files - it shows them all the time whether you have them set to show or not, thus alleviating the need for having to change the option back and forth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.