Grey Screen

Reaction score
Yea hi i was on my mac today simply surfing the web and checking my emails, when all of the sudden my screen decided to turn grey with a warning saying "your computer is malfunctioning please hold down the power button to turn it off and then click the power button again"

i was wondering what could have prompted this as the warning didnt indicate why the computer wasnt functioning.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

How about some more information? Your Mac: Year, Model? Which version of OS X? And more importantly, what happened after you rebooted?

OP
F
Reaction score
I think its the late 2009 Imac series
10.6.6 OS
3.06 GHZ intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 mhz ddr3
500gb HDD
nvidea geforce 4600

and after i rebooted absolutely nothing happened it was jst as if i was turning it on like i do in the morning. completely standard start up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Have you installed RAM? If you have remove the stick/sticks you have put in and see if that helps.

Good luck!

- Kyle

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it could be anything from "Gremlins" to a power glitch. As long as your machine is starting normally and working OK, I wouldn't be concerned about it. If it starts acting up and you get that warning several times, post back and we'll give you some suggestions for trouble shooting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.