Seeking utility !

Reaction score
There is a wonderful free utility available only for Windows called Belarc Advisor. Belarc quickly tells you about absolutely everything installed on your PC, both software by version, date and etc., and all of your hardware too. It shows a complete "snapshot" of what you have. Does anyone know of a similiar program available for Mac.

I am a brand new Mac user, having been given a Powerbook G4 (a1095). I will slowly learn the Mac, just bought two books on Amazon "Mac for Dummies", and David Pouges "Missing Manual."

Thanks, Hank [email protected]

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forum. Hope you are enjoying the Mac experience.

You didn't mention which version of the OS you have but the following procedure has worked with the last several OS versions so it should work.

From the Apple menu at the far left of your screen choose "About this Mac" . In the window that pops up choose "More Info". This will launch a program called "System Profiler".

After a bit of information gathering a window appears with various categories of information. Clicking a category in the left pane shows the relevant information in the center pane. For what you want you may find it easier to go to the file menu in System Profiler and save the report. By using Save As you can save it as a text file.

OP
H
Reaction score
software for Powerbook G4 (model a1095)

thanks for the good info, the box does show that I have OS version 10.4.11, Is that 'Tiger?' How can I find out what the maximum newest version I can upgrade to? Is there a site somewhere (Apple or otherwise) that would list the upgrade/update maximums? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm thinking you could probably upgrade to Leopard, but that's definitely the highest. Snow Leopard and above require an Intel CPU.

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you see any model listed as PowerPC, G3, G4, or G5 they do not have Intel processors. There is an app called Mactracker that can tell you just about anything you want to know about every Mac ever made, Simply find your model in the list and you can find out the maximum OS version, memory, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.