Disappearing memory stick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac v 10.7.1
I bought a new iMac recently and also a new 16GB memory stick / pen drive to help me transfer files from my old Windows 2K PC to the iMac.

At first all went well. The memory stick plugged into a USB slot on the iMac and showed up as an icon called "NO NAME" on the desktop. Files were transferred successfully to the iMac.

Then one day the memory stick was plugged into the USB port but did not show up on the desktop and has been invisible there ever since.

However, it does show up when plugged into a Windows PC and when plugged into a different iMac.

How can I get it seen again on my iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Finder, click on preferences, click the General tab, and then place a check in the box that says "External Disks". Should be right below where it says: Show these items on the Desktop:

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac v 10.7.1
Thanks for the idea, chscag, but that box was already ticked when I looked there.

(Sorry for delay in replying - I thought I'd be sent an email when a reply was sent to my post but none arrived.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try a PRAM - NVRAM reset to see if that will work. LINK Also, make sure that you subscribe to this thread if you want an email to notify you of any replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.