Mac With Logic Pro 9

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a mac and i used my name to set it all up. My brother and I make music together and we use logic pro 9 which we use on his Imac. I bought my mac primarily to use logic at the same time as him so we can work on our music together but it fails when I install it under my name on my mac. Iv been reading on these forums about license agreements and what not and it is my understanding that two macs owned by the SAME person can have the software installed but they can't run at the same time? I tried registering the software in his name but it still fails and gives me this message about half way through the installation of the very first disc.

"The Installer Encountered An Error That Caused The Installation To Fail. Contact The Software Manufacturer For Assistance"

Is this because the mac is in my name and the imac is in his name and so is logic pro? If so, can I re-name my computer to his name and then install logic pro??

Thank you for any help, you would be making my new mac experience a lot better if I can get this working!

PS. If this isn't possible, can I buy another license off apple?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
to use someone else's licence is technically piracy. i dont believe changing your name would make a difference. so im assuming this is your copy that you have installed on your brothers computer and yours?

Logic has other anti piracy features aswell: if it detects two of the same licensed software on your network, you can only run one copy.

you cant buy another "license", you would have to buy another copy of logic.

is the installer failing after you try and register? at what exact point?

OP
W
Reaction score
i place the first disc in, place all the information in under my name and the serial number and it starts to install. about half way through installing the first disc, the progress bar goes to the end and it comes up with that fail message;

"The Installer Encountered An Error That Caused The Installation To Fail. Contact The Software Manufacturer For Assistance"

and thats it. What if i created a profile under my brothers name on my mac and installed logic under his name as this would comply with the license agreement as one copy is on a mac and one copy is on a imac. He'll be using the mac just as much as his own imac so id like to think that piracy wouldn't come into it but I know what you mean.

Thanks for your reply and any further help.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay run the installer again but this time press cmd + L, this will bring up the log. tell me the error it brings up. also, your mac specs would be useful.

OP
W
Reaction score
so the log error is:

Mar 5 18:38:17 Philip-Williamss-iMac Installer[129]: Compressor: There is already a newer version of this software installed.

Mar 5 18:38:24 Philip-Williamss-iMac Installer[129]: Compressor: There is already a newer version of this software installed.

Mar 5 18:38:41 Philip-Williamss-iMac installd[146]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----

Mar 5 18:48:18 Philip-Williamss-iMac installd[146]: PackageKit: Install Failed: PKG: extracting "com.apple.pkg.LogicStudioCoreContent"\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 UserInfo=0x10240c690 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “LogicStudioCoreContent.pkg”." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=5 UserInfo=0x10590d550 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Input/output error") {\n NSFilePath = "/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root";\n NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cLogicStudioCoreContent.pkg\U201d.";\n NSURL = "../Packages/LogicStudioCoreContent.pkg -- file://localhost/Volumes/Logic%20Studio%20Install/Installer/LogicStudio.mpkg/";\n NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=5 UserInfo=0x10590d550 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Input/output error\"";\n PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.LogicStudioCoreContent";\n}
Mar 5 18:48:19 Philip-Williamss-iMac Installer[129]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Mar 5 18:48:19 Philip-Williamss-iMac Installer[129]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.

Mar 5 18:48:19 Philip-Williamss-iMac Installer[129]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Philip is my name but I entered my brothers name in logics setup. My mac is the 21.5", 1TB, 4 GB Ram Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz

cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
W
Reaction score
so i checked the disc using disc facilities and it says the disc is ok. I tested the optical drive by trying to install ilife and it worked fine. I also tried to install Logic without placing my name in but it wont run without a name.
I looked at the link and they say to create a disc image from the logic pro cd, I tried this but after a while it comes up with an error;

Unable to create "Logic Studio Install.cdr." (Input/Output Error)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you repair permissions in disk utility?

OP
W
Reaction score
It doesn't give me the option of repairing the disc, its greyed out. it just has "verify disc" and once Iv done that it says its ok so it still doesn't allow me to repair it.....i am new to all this though so I could be doing something wrong?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
did you repair permissions in disk utility?

It doesn't give me the option of repairing the disc, its greyed out. it just has "verify disc" and once Iv done that it says its ok so it still doesn't allow me to repair it.....i am new to all this though so I could be doing something wrong?

repair permissions and repair disk are two separate items - open up Disk Utility and look again - same place - for Repair Permissions

Repair Permissions can be done right there.

Repair Disk cannot be performed on the disk you are booted into. To do this one you must boot to a bootable clone or boot from your OS X disc.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its under neath the "First Aid" tab in disk utility. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
sorry, I see where you guys mean....I had another look and selected logic pro under my disc drive but the Repair Disc Permissions is still greyed out, along with verify disc permissions and repair disc. The only option I do have is the verify disc.

When I hover the mouse over Repair disc Permissions or Repair Disc it shows this;
Not available because the selected disc can't be written to

When I hover the mouse over Verify disc Permissions it shows this;
Not available because the selected disc is set to ignore ownership

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something....

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay you need to run the repair permissions on your boot drive (default is Macintosh HD) not the logic CD.

select this drive in your side bar.

OP
W
Reaction score
So I ran the reapir disc permissions on the macintosh HD and tried to install Logic but it gets to the same point as before and then just fails!.....Thanks for your help. Is there anything else I can try???

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you run the logic installer, you get the option of what to install.

have tried unchecking unessential things, i.e the 40GB of loops that come with logic?

im drastically running out of ideas.

I think the error is something to do with the computer not being able to extract the files from the disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.