Powermac G5 Quad: Overtemp + Checkstop

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hard luck Rob. Personally if you want a G5, look for the 2.3GHz Dual Core which are normal air cooling. Before you toss it, I have a service manual in CD format sitting on my desk. If it is any good, PM me and I will mail it over with my compliments.

Appreciate it Harry, but I don't think it would be worth the mailing costs (aren't you down under? :) ) Even if i did fix it, i really wouldn't trust it, plus its very out of date and wouldn't be much use to me as anything other than a file storage device.

I originally bought it out of research and interest, as I want a broader knowledge of whats going on inside these computers, and to satisfy my curiosity: every time I see something electronic, i want to take it apart, and see whats inside, but most of my stuff I need and cant fiddle around with!

I have been researching G5 case mods online, and I am going to build a PC inside the case. I am currently selecting some very nice components to go in (I have just recently re-acquired my job, so money is coming in again :D) its gonna be difficult to say the least, particularly as I have never built a computer before, but i think it will be an interesting challenge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well buddy you are a cat owner, and you know what curiosity did to the pussey?

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reaction score
Coming late to this thread, so I hope there's still help available.

My Quad Core G5 2.5GHz recently started displaying the dreaded #2 & #7 combo. I have the dual pump cooligy core. I purchased a single pump version, same cpu speed etc, as a back-up/replacement.

I pulled the core and found no evidence of leaking, no corrosion, no crystallization, etc. Some dust but not much.

I put the back-up core in and am getting the same #2 & #7 LEDs following the boot tone.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.