Which "new" Mac book pro harddrive is faster solid state ,5400 , or 7200 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 24" imac osx 10.7.5, 2.16 GHz 4 m SDRAM(low latency), IPHONE 5s 64 ,IPAD 3RD GEN. 64G verizon
Just wondering if anybody knows how the solid state hard drives stack-up. Please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
SSD, 7200rpm, then 5400rpm.
SSD's are substantially faster, however, overpriced for the storage size that you get.
In most cases, for the average user, it is not worth it.
Value for money until SSDs drop drastically in price (become the standard drives), go for a 7200rpm drive.
Keep in mind that you're not going to notice much other than boot time and application launching being faster unless you are doing some intensive graphic design, photo/video editing, music recording, etc.

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows how the solid state hard drives stack-up. Please let me know.

They are fast! See:
Charts, benchmarks SSD Charts 2010, Desktop Performance Index (50% Throughput, 25% PCMark, 25% I/O)

SSD's tend to be far less prone to failure due to jarring and impact as traditional hard drives are.

But SSD's are prone to wear-out in time, and, especially when used in a Mac, can suffer from poor handling of bad blocks. OS X 10.6 and earlier don't support TRIM:
TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I keep on hearing about SSD's having abnormally high failure rates and
unusual problems:
SSDs Have High Failure Rate? - HotHardware
SSD failure rate is '10-20 per cent' | News | TechRadar UK
(There were reports that Dell had as high as a 30% return rate for
laptops with SSD's, which Dell refutes. However, Dell has refused to
disclose the actual return rate.)

I just recently learned that TRIM will be supported and implemented in OS X 10.7:
Mac OS X Lion Supports TRIM for SSD’s
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Developer Preview is Available to Download

So, if you are interested in an SSD, it might be best to wait until this summer when Apple releases OS X 10.7. By then SSD's might also be generally more reliable.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even though OS X doesn't support TRIM, SSDs for reasons unbeknown to myself, seem to not suffer from the degradation that they do with other OS's.
Don't ask me why, as I don't know, but if you do your research on this, you may get your explanations!

Reaction score
Even though OS X doesn't support TRIM, SSDs for reasons unbeknown to myself, seem to not suffer from the degradation that they do with other OS's.
Don't ask me why, as I don't know, but if you do your research on this, you may get your explanations!

That's very true, at least for the Samsung SSD that Apple provides for the Macbook Air. On the other hand, the performance provided by the Samsung SSD in the Macbook Air is terrible compared to the speed of just about any other SSD, and even many rotating disk hard drives.

The situation is much less clear for other SSD's.

This article discusses that and does testing for SSD drive performance
degradation, does some comparison with similar testing on a Windows 7
computer and SSD drives and comes to some surprising conclusions.
Benchmarking SSD performance in OSX | bit-tech.net

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apparently Apple is already providing TRIM support for their SSDs that are installed in the new MBP line. See this article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently Apple is already providing TRIM support for their SSDs that are installed in the new MBP line. See this article.

According to this article, it has been added to the latest build of the 10.6.6 update available through software update from Apple.
Obviously, I can't test this having no SSD installed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.