Guess ive got a laser printer comming, was told it wont work on newr macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hi guys. My highschool photography teacher is the one that got me to switch. I havent been in highschool for 2 years, but this is a really nice lady who now teaches my brother. Shes given me her old Beige G3 and a G3 wallstreet lappy, which is making my visually impaired college life much easier.

My brother came in today, and she said she has a laser printer for us, cause something about it not working with her G4.

She said itd work on my G3 laptop no problem, and something about it being local talk (i said apple talk) my brother didnt pay much attention to that.

Its an apple brand printer, i cant see apple dropping support for their own printers. I swear she used it on OSX, but its been awhile

If its apple talk, i DO have a print server that she gave me, has ethernet in, i think paralell on it?

Ill get more info in a few days...im just curiousi n advance what if anything im going to need to make this work.

thanks in advance guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
hmm...apple hasn't made printers forr while, so it could be very outdated and not work with OSX

it should work fine with a g3, but i'm not sure about the print server

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
print server as far as i can tell just runs via apple talk...and ive done apple talk from my G3 OS9.2 to my G5 OSX.4...the Apple Talk protocol has remained the same has it not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I bet it will work. I have an apple laserwriter and it still works with OSX on apple talk. Local talk may not work, but If you hook it up using your print server, activate appletalk, and then use the printer setup utility... I bet it will work like a charm. It will be easier to look up once you know the model number.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea..i can get the print server stuff, thats in a box downstairs..the printer number might even be tmr.

and even more good stuff, Freecycle.org in my community, people come across gallon jugs of tonor to just give away on there

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ok, she said its an Apple Laser 8, works great, kinda slow, HIGH detail, and the school wont let her play with it, so thats why shes giving it up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
MadSkillzMan said:
ok, she said its an Apple Laser 8
Never heard of it. The PS printer driver in classic for some ot the laserwriters was called Laserwriter 8, but I've never heard of a printer with that name. Maybe its a LW pro 810?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
could be..my brother might be bringing it home today, so we'll know

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well, today was like christmas before the weekly christmas, AKA garbage day.

Got an Apple Laser Writter 600 PRO.
A Epson photo 1280
Epson Stylux 500 Pro :eek:

I only got one cable though, goes LPT to USB. So far that will not work on a windows PC on the 1280. my dads begging for one of the large format pritners on his windows pc..i dont think its gonna happen lol

edit:

so far, got the epson 1280 to functoin on the PC. it wont print because of lack of ink.

the apple LW 600 printed flawlessly off of OS9 on my laptop. I also found a box thta says asanteTalk Ehternet to Local Talk bridge..its a print server of some kind...could this work?

EDIT 2: How the HECK do i replace the toner in that thing? Itd be sweet just for printing off tons of information and those LONG essays

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.