Networking With PCs

S

sgreenhough

Hi there,

I'm a relative newbie to MACs and I've been using PCs for a while now. I don't want to get into the usual PC v MAC argument but I do have a question.

I've got a PC network set up with internet connection sharing set up on one of my PCs and using a switch to connect the other PCs in my house so they can all acess the internet.

My Mac is running Mac OS 10 something (it's quite new!).

I'm just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on getting my Mac to access the internet through my PC internet connection sharing.

My Mac is actually an iBook so I can't use this as the Internet Connection Sharing machine for my PCs because it's not at home all the time.

So, can you set up a Mac to access the internet via a PC running Internet Connection Sharing? And if so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

OP
J

jcromartie

Sure thing! When you plug your iBook in, it should be set up to get an address via DHCP, just like the PCs that conenct to the ICS server. The DHCP server should automatically give you the gateway address, as well. So, in other words: it just works. If not, holla back at me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
moved thread to where itll be more helpful

OP
S

sgreenhough

Just set up the Mac now. I have to say - I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was!

Nice that you can use Internet Explorer instead of Nutscrape Navigator as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
sgreenhough said:
Just set up the Mac now. I have to say - I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was!

That's the beauty of Macintosh. :)

I also suggest you try Safari instead of IE. I don't even have IE installed on my machine anymore, and simply stick with Safari and Netscape.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.