Amazon.com

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy an IMac. I noticed that Amazon.com has it at a reduced price as well as the Apple Care. Is this a safe place to purchase from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Absolutely. I've never had any trouble with Amazon and I've done a lot of business with them, including most of my Christmas shopping on a yearly basis. I don't see why Apple products from them would be any different.

Reaction score
Amazon is a very reliable online vendor.

However, there is one huge potential problem. There is no indication that I can find that Amazon is an Authorized Apple Retailer. (You may want to e-mail them and ask about this, and/or write to Apple and ask, to be sure about this.) Apple's authorized retailers are required to show a banner that tells customers that they are authorized, and I don't see this on the pages where new Apple products are offered for sale.

Apple doesn't allow non-authorized vendors to sell their products. Apple products sold by non-authorized retailers are called "gray market goods." Gray market goods are technically illegal to sell. Not from a criminal aspect, but from a violation of contract standpoint. (Apple contracts with all of their authorized retailers that they will not trans-ship goods to non-authorized retailers. So, any non-authorized retailer is selling goods in violation of someone's contract with Apple. Not only is the authorized retailer in violation of contract, but inducement to violate a contract, by the non-authorized retailer, is also illegal.)

Apple can, and has been known to, refuse to give warranty service on gray market goods. It might not be worth it to you to risk this. So you may want to be absolutely sure about this before you purchase from Amazon.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm going off memory here, but I believe that if it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon you are covered for certain. If it lists a third party, than it depends.
FWIW I have purchased two MacBooks and a MacMini from Amazon with no problems and have AppleCare on all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Thanks for that link wavinwayne. I just bought a macbook pro and the AppleCare for it from Amazon. No problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No problems with Amazon UK either, so the same applies. Buy with confidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
With my experience Amazon has been great. It has really fast shipping. If you are looking to upgrade your computer (now or later ;D) you should check out NewEgg. They have tons of computer stuff at a really good price.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac,intel core i3,processor speed 3.06ghz,processors 1,cores 2,L2 cache per core 256kb,L3 cache 4mb
Just bought the same 2 items from anazon no problems at all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.