Are you getting an iPad 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Initially no.
I might later though. But I'd have to justify to myself first "will I use it enough to get my money's worth?". And at the moment I can't do that.

When and if I get an ipad it'd probably be 32GB and defo white. I love the Apple white products. I bought the last white imac knowing the new alu imacs were coming. And I'm glad I got the white one. And I own a white ipod 5G. That needs replacing though as the battery is shot.

So yes the white is very tempting. Just a shame there's no white Magic Cover for the ipads. I'll probably have to go for the grey.

Reaction score
Would have been nice if I didn't have to say what color I'm getting, since that's the only part I'm undecided on :p

As soon as my tax return comes in I will be going to an Apple store and buying a 32GB WiFi model, but I am undecided as to whether I want black or white (so if anyone has opinions, feel free to share).

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As you very well know...Apple has that "special skill" of improving things just enough to make the decision a tough one (rather than clean cut easy).;)

Yep, lol.

Here are my thoughts on your list...

- slimmer design
- lighter weight

Slimmer design is good, but the weight really isn't that different 15% in absolute terms is minor and barely noticeable. I personally wish they could cut the weight in half from where it was.

- up to 2x improved processing power
- up to 9x improved graphics power
- 3 axis gyro (not the biggest deal...but still a "techie-geek" improvement)

Those of course are all awesome. But again, you really need to weigh what your primary use will be. For internet, movie streaming, and most apps, even the iPad 1 is a great device. For games, the iPad 1 is pretty solid, but I'm sure if gaming will be a big part of what you'll use it for, the new specs will help.

I will probably end up getting an iPad 2...but it will be a REALLY tough decision if used iPad 1 prices go below $300.:Confused:

-Nick

The iPad 2 is pretty nice and I'm getting one for sure, but don't feel that getting an iPad 1 is a bad choice, especially if the price is right and it fits what you'll be using it for.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My next major purchase will be a MBA for my wife. After that is paid for I will consider upgrading, but if we are anywhere close to the iPad 3 release at that point may wait for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My next major purchase will be a MBA for my wife. After that is paid for I will consider upgrading, but if we are anywhere close to the iPad 3 release at that point may wait for it.
Yeah...I hate being one of those people that keep "looking around the corner" for the next version (and what improvements it will have)...but if the rumors are true...then it would seem that the iPad 3 will actually be the one to get (a nice balance of improvements over the iPad 1...cameras, more power, improved display).

Rumors for the iPad 3:

- improved display (retina display, or close to retina display)
- release date possibly before Christmas 2011

If the release date is true...that would really make the iPad 2's "lifespan" very short. Apple hasn't done too much of this sort of thing lately (releasing a new model so quickly). Back in the 90's Apple did this a couple times (released a new computer model only something like 6 months after the previous release)...and man folks got peeved.

Of course back then we didn't have the internet communication abilities like we have today...so when this happened...folks felt like they got hit with a brick wall (or kicked in the "junk");). Today...a well connected person shouldn't be so surprised if something like this were to happen.

- Nick

p.s. One thing we don't know is...if the iPad 3 will cost more.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...I hate being one of those people that keep "looking around the corner" for the next version (and what improvements it will have)...but if the rumors are true...then it would seem that the iPad 3 will actually be the one to get (a nice balance of improvements over the iPad 1...cameras, more power, improved display).

Rumors for the iPad 3:

- improved display (retina display, or close to retina display)
- release date possibly before Christmas 2011

If the release date is true...that would really make the iPad 2's "lifespan" very short. Apple hasn't done too much of this sort of thing lately (releasing a new model so quickly). Back in the 90's Apple did this a couple times (released a new computer model only something like 6 months after the previous release)...and man folks got peeved.

Of course back then we didn't have the internet communication abilities like we have today...so when this happened...folks felt like they got hit with a brick wall (or kicked i the "junk");). Today...a well connected person shouldn't be so surprised if something like this were to happen.

- Nick

p.s. One thing we don't know is...if the iPad 3 will cost more.

Nick,
The thing for us is the main improvements in iPad2 over what we have is thinner (a big plus) and cameras (nice to have). But with $1400 invested in our 1st gen iPads it's really hard to justify the expenditure to upgrade.
Not impossible ;) mind you, just hard!
Mike

EDIT: Actually, what I would jump all over would be a new configuration. Either a tablet MBA or a smaller, more Kindle-sized iPad. Both at once would probably be devastating to my bank account. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
The thing for us is the main improvements in iPad2 over what we have is thinner (a big plus) and cameras (nice to have). But with $1400 invested in our 1st gen iPads it's really hard to justify the expenditure to upgrade.
Not impossible ;) mind you, just hard!
Mike
Ooh I'm with you on all the changes...and the financial impacts.

The evolutionary improvements of the iPad are sort of like the way laptops would improve from one model to the next something like 10+ years ago. Where the improvements & model launches would come "fast & furious".

For me...improvements in laptops & desktops from one model launch to the next have been "**-hum" for a longgg time...so the evolutionary improvements in the iPad kind of bring back the desire to have the latest & greatest.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
I waited since X'Mas for this iPad2 with front facing camera.

Our family members are all around the world and need to use on Skype to communicate with who are on PCs.

Regards

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. . .so the evolutionary improvements in the iPad kind of bring back the desire to have the latest & greatest.:)

- Nick

Oddly enough my wife (who isn't normally all that interested in new technology) agrees with you on this. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz QC Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 2TB, 100GB; iPad 2 64GB
Yes, my husband is buying me one for my birthday. It's gonna a be a white one and +3G for sure. Now, I don't know if I should go for the 32 GB. I want to replace my MacBook, but will store most of my files on my MacPro. I will probably download lots of apps, but not I don't need to store a lot of music on it (I use my iPhone for that).
Do you think the price difference (16GB vs 32 GB) is worth it?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to call it now...

There will not be an iPad 3 in 2011.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah...I probably have to agree after reading articles like this from March 2nd, 2011:

AppleInsider | Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"

This earlier February 10th, 2011 article quoted rumors regarding an iPad 3 launch...where a source "Gruber" was predicting a Sept., 2011 iPad 3 launch:

iPad 2 Rumors Now Compete with iPad 3 Rumors - PCWorld

It would seem that an iPad 2 investment may be a little "safer" after all :)...since we may get 11-12 months until a possible iPad 3 launch this time next year (2012...just a guess). Not saying an iPad 1 or iPad 2 aren't great devices...just that when the iPad 3 comes out...there's always the "woulda, coulda, shoulda"...sort of thoughts that start to creep into ones mind.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yeah, it's much better to play the 'I'll just get the best one so I'll wait another year until I'm dead' game. :D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Tend to agree. :( Oh well - in that case - I will go out on a 'limb' and predict that next year's iPad will have even more fanfare (maybe another 'game changer' keynote) - and will involve significant spec improvement including, screen resolution, memory, processor and both cameras. Frankly - they could leave the size/weight/thickness as is - at least for my needs and just cram more performance in. :) Oh - and finally available in pink for those who have been asking :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
We just got an ipad1 for Christmas, so, no. For what it's worth, at our local Target, the remaining stock of ipad1's was $100.00 off. That seems like an awesome deal, IMO. Almost thought abought buying another one.

Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would rather have a MacBook air cause of the real keyboard and more memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.2 core 2 duo,Macbook/iphone/ipod/apple Hi-Fi/MacBook Pro 13"/ipod nano/iPad 64 wifi/
I just got my iPad 32GB WiFi after Christmas. From the apple store refurbished. I don't think I have a need for the iPad 2 . My wife will be facing the dilemma of getting a ipad2 or going for the less expensive iPad 1 .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I got the iPad 1 the day it was released in Belgium and it still serves my needs.

Don't really need the extra features right now.

One thing I will do is replace my BlackBerry with an iPhone 5 when that becomes available.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.