Upgrading to Snow Leopard what applications might I lose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.8, Snow leopard.
Have inherited MacBook from now-graduate grandson. Want to upgrade to Snow Leopard and have bought disk, but am a little concerned that this may lose me several recently installed non-Mac applications. eg: Canon printer, HP scanner, etc. Do I need to be worried, or is it pretty much straightforward?

Can you name any helpful websites in this connection?

M.Baxter
NYC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
First, let me display my ignorance of the MacBook line. Does it have an Intel processor? If yes, continue...

Put in the disc and follow the instructions. Don't erase and install, and your applications will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Have inherited MacBook from now-graduate grandson. Want to upgrade to Snow Leopard and have bought disk, but am a little concerned that this may lose me several recently installed non-Mac applications. eg: Canon printer, HP scanner, etc. Do I need to be worried, or is it pretty much straightforward?

Can you name any helpful websites in this connection?

M.Baxter
NYC

All of your apps and information on your machine will still be there because Snow Leopard does a Archive and Install ( it does this automatically). If you want to read the article Apple made about it, here it is:

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Good luck!

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well let's clarify. Your apps will still be there, but they may not all work, especially things like HP or Canon drivers. You will need to visit their sites and see if they have updated versions if you're having problems after the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Well let's clarify. Your apps will still be there, but they may not all work, especially things like HP or Canon drivers. You will need to visit their sites and see if they have updated versions if you're having problems after the upgrade.

This is correct, thanks for saying that. I forgot about that.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, I was thinking that too, but I hit send before typing it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.